Trading Transferring shares to offshore brokerage query

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Sick_of_scams, 5th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sick_of_scams

Sick_of_scams Well-Known Member

Hello forum readers and contributors.

This is a second post seeking a specific query to add to my first post titled
    'Offshore brokerage in Singapore for Australian expat'

I would like to know if there are any Australian tax implications for transferring my share holdings that are held in CHESS with Australian brokers to an offshore international brokerage such as in Singapore, where that brokerage becomes the custodial of my shares?

Since the share holdings would enter a different jurisdiction (under Singapore laws) then capital gains (nil tax in Singapore) and dividend income would be recorded there.

I am going off another website expat forum with posters in the thread claiming it can be done. I am not sure if Australian laws allow it? And if there is a tax or fees for doing this?

Hopefully someone in this forum knows of this.

Thanks in advance.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.