Train Wreck Waiting To Happen

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by IrishDigger, 19th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. IrishDigger

IrishDigger Well-Known Member

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

That's old news I have to say.

Most have taken their profits and moved on. If they haven't sold up then they're maxing their profits.

Time for a Guinness!

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

2021 going to be interesting

4. TickerHound

TickerHound Well-Known Member

Not arguing with the point of the article that retail customers needs to be careful.The US is seeing an increase in "amateurs" too - encouraged by people like David Portnoy, who has discovered day trading.

Minor point though - I did notice the statement that retail investors had moved the markets off the March low. Institutional whales move markets, not retail investors. ASX also tends to broadly follow the US.

BunnyXiao likes this.
  5. Ross36

Ross36 Well-Known Member

Personally I disagree, there are plenty of markets which are still looking good value right now despite the bounce. Should people not buy the ASX when it is 15% off its previous highs? It's price to earnings will take a hit this year, but will it ever bounce back? My bet is yes. You're not buying today's earnings, you're buying the next 20+ years earnings. A 15% decline in price means it is anticipated there will be a 15% decline on average in the expected earnings for the entirety of that timeframe. That's a massive hit.

These articles are confirmation bias. Someone likely sold out on the way down or didn't buy waiting for the even lower bottom that never came. They then justify it to themselves by picking whatever evidence supports their idea, saying this is crazy and it must go down again. It might, it might not.