tradie's licence

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by charlie01, 7th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. charlie01

charlie01 Well-Known Member

My neighbour in the same street is doing extension. I had a chat with the tradies there yesterday. They were very nice and provided me a lot of information, including one which surprised me. That chap said he's an experienced builder and he uses the construction company owner's licence to carry out the job because he doesn't have a licence.

What do you guys think about unlicensed builders who use somebody else's licence to build your home. I am curious as to why these experienced builders don't have licence or don't bother to get one?

2. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I had a quote from a kitchen installation company, when queried found out he was using the licence of a carpenter in Sydney. He didn't get the job ... :rolleyes:

3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

How would you know what the professional relationship is with the building company (licensed) and its employees (tradesmen). That is a private matter and I doubt he would have given you all the relevant facts in a friendly chat with a neighbour.

bdydrp likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Borrowing a licence rings a few alarm bells. If the guy doing the work has insurance, then he's probably voided it by not being licensed.

They won't be able to effect home warranty insurance under their name but the builder's - where does that leave you if the builder says they lent the licence to someone?

What happens If the workmanship is not up to scratch?

5. bdydrp

bdydrp Well-Known Member

Is he an employee? Perhaps he's an experienced "builder" and just works for a licenced construction company..
    Or he's talking sh ! t..!

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia