trades supplies by Managers

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by goodlife, 2nd Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. goodlife

goodlife Member

if your Property Manager uses a gasfitter that has an installation permit and no servicing permit, yet they carry out servicing work. The work carried out is from a work order supplied by the Property manager.
    Who is responsible if something goes wrong?

2. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

In WA most Class G permit holders cover the installation and servicing. I thought it was only when the work became more specialized that a permit might only cover say installation.

If something goes wrong the gasfitter will be held liable, particularly if they don't hold the right license for the work.

3. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

I am now very very careful of using PM's tradies - here are examples

PM electrician openly quoted $3500 plus rewiring whole house for at least 5 days which would delay tenants to move in (rent loss). he charged me $200 for quoting. anyway, job done efficiently in 2 days by electrician recommended here at $3000 all inclusive.

PM plumber "fixed" everything and did water efficiency thing only 2 months ago for $500 and now few taps are leaking again. He openly quoted $2200 to remove leaking shower caddy plus gst plus cost of cutting the wall (?abestos), anyway, job is going to be done by plumber recommended here at $850 all inclusive (p.s dont even need to touch the wall:rolleyes:)

lesson 1. dont trust PM tradies, always get second quote for big jobs
    lesson 2. Use PC resources, I have saved few thousand dollars :)

Last edited: 2nd Feb, 2017
    Perthguy likes this.
  4. goodlife

goodlife Member

After checking I find that that is not the case! most new gasfitters don't get servicing endorsement on a permit.

5. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

my understanding

the plumber/ gasfitter needs to take out a permit to install and commission new gas appliances in a domestic situation .

To service gas appliances you do not need to take out a permit , however you do need to be a licenced gasfitter . Was the person who carried out the service work a licensed gas fitter ?

Last edited: 2nd Feb, 2017
  6. goodlife

goodlife Member

he holds a gasfitting permit for installation work and not for servicing! why would the PM send out a guy that is not a holder of the correct licence?

7. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

Domestic Type A gas work licensing

Type A devices are heating, lighting, power or refrigeration devices that use gas as their fuel. These are essentially certified (badged) mass-produced appliances such as gas stoves and hot-water systems.

Each individual who undertakes work on a Type A gas device system must have a current gas work licence. This includes installing, removing, altering, repairing, servicing, testing and certifying work related to the gas device.

8. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

you are confusing permit with licence !

9. goodlife

goodlife Member

In WA they operate on a Permit system! no gasfitter has a licence...
    the Permit and is issued with or without restrictions. it will have a class and a restriction, like installing NG & LPG or installing & Servicing NG & LPG.
    this is from the Energy Safety Site.

10. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I take it that you put their licence number in here and checked?
    EnergySafety licence and registration search

If, under restrictions it only lists "installation", then your PM and the gasfitter has a problem. I'd contact the PM, let them know that their tradie isn't licenced for servicing work, and insist that they get someone properly licenced to do the work again. At the PM's cost. See how you go.

goodlife likes this.