Trades recommendation - tiler, carpets, flooring

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by wjw, 13th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wjw

wjw Well-Known Member

Hi,

Looking to do a light reno and was hoping to ask for some recommendations and advice. Location Melbourne metro.

1) Tiler. Will be looking to replace floor tiles in toilet. Non wet area so no need waterproofing. Where's a good place to buy a small amount of tiles? Any recommendations for tilers?

2) Laminate flooring for a small area (about 10m2). Where should I start with this? Should I supply the laminate from bunnings and get someone to install? Any recommendations for tradies who can do this?

3) Carpet. Visited the major chains. Should I go with them or an independent?

4) Blinds and curtains. Any shops to recommend? I think this is the only one I'm might be able to install myself. Lol.

Others stuff I'm looking to do (appreciate any trade recommendations or tips):
    - Bathtub resurface
    - Painting
    - Rangehood and cooktop replacement
    - Hate the colour of the kitchen cabinet. Looking for a cheap way to change it to something plain.
    - Install powerpoints.
    - a few custom shelves

Thanks all!

Last edited: 13th Nov, 2019
  2. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Cant speak for Melbourne sorry but expected costings based on what I pay for good quality sits at the following
    $60sqm for tiler if tiles are normal sizes, $80-$90 for pattern/difficult/extra cuts.
    $65sqm Good quality installed Carpet, including $5sqm underlay
    $30sqm for laminate install (laminate pricing on top, so around $70-$80sqm total for nice stuff)

The rest is something id do myself so no idea on costs, however if you are just looking for a cheap option white knight do some laminate paints for resurfacing kitchens, baths, etc.

Id recommend using Hipages and listing the scope of works asking for quotes, not leaving anything out so you get an accurate quote with no surprises

3. wjw

wjw Well-Known Member

Thanks Codie. That's some helpful numbers for me to benchmark against.

Cheers.

4. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

For carpets, I’d recommend western distributors (Sunshine)- the sell good quality carpets (with minor defects that are hard to see) at really cheap prices.

For a painter, I’d recommend Maddy ([email protected]).

Check out air tasker for some of the other services.

5. Lauren350

Lauren350 Active Member

For the bathtub resurface and kitchen cabinetry, you could look at Kitchen & Bathroom Renovations | iSpray it or check out their facebook page.

6. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Hi wjw, where about a in Melb metro? My tradie handyman may be able to cover this if in the right area.
    Cheers

7. KingBendtner

KingBendtner Well-Known Member

Hi Lauren, have you used them before? any feedbacks?