Trade Invoicing Question ?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Finds, 19th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Finds

Finds Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I am currently getting work done on my property and received an invoice from a plumber for future work in the form of a progress payment working towards the entire job being finished. Am I in the wrong for asking to only be invoiced for completed work at this stage ? I have no problem paying anyone but they have popped around to complete the rough in of the sewer one afternoon and asking for 15 hours of labour for when they come back to fit off. Am I wrong to only pay what has been completed ? I don't want to be rude if this is pretty standard practice.

2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I'm wondering this too.

I think it's pretty standard to pay at the end but wouldn't mind paying along the way.

The problem is because people are so busy right now jobs can take so long. For example because other tradies are getting in the way of the plumbing work, he has to pause all the time till their bits are done. And those other tradies might not be back for weeks! So overall a job that would only take 3 days has taken like 3 months now. That's 3 months of work he hasn't been paid for. So in this climate I'm really not sure what to do anymore. He hasn't asked, but I've considered offering to pay him something even though it's not done yet.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

what are the terms of your contract? Did you agree to pay at the end or in stages?

4. Finds

Finds Well-Known Member

A rough price was given for the scope of work and so far after each completed day I have just paid for work completed with invoice, no contract indicating any payment structure.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Rough-in of services is either in-ground or in the walls, it's not the fit off (installation of the tapware/wc/cistern/shower heads/stopcocks etc) which won't happen until works on the rest of the place are finished - this may be days or months away.

Tell the plumber you're only paying for work completed to date unless there's a deposit for tapware or other material that they are providing.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia