Townsville flood went through my Townhouse

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Adelaide, 9th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Adelaide

Adelaide Well-Known Member

Downstairs is the kitchen and lounge.
    A foot of went through and destroyed everything.
    Tenant thrown out carpet and stove.
    Insurance coming through to assess.
    No electricity.

I want to keep my tenant but is gonna take a couple months to get this back together.

I will need to put in around $5k for stuff insurance doesn't cover.

Has anyone been through this before?
    I'm living in Perth.

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yes several times,don't throw anything out till you ring the insurance company who insured your property as they may want to see everything first,photos just may give them wiggle room to not pay out..

Depending on who your insured with and at least it's only gone in less then a metre ,and don't let the tenant touch any electricity or anything just leave it as it is till the insurance tells you can ..

Your lucky 2011 it went over the roof in one we control, Tenant just walked out left everything the Qld government looked after them put them in a Motel I gave them the bond back to help them ..

With the insurance,an irish backpacker who was employed a day prior with the insurance company came out with another person took several photos then asked how did it flood..I told them it was going up one step on the front entrance every 9 minutes ,then said oh it did not come from the rain off the roof no I said from the creek out in the park then they both said ""ÖH" your not covered for that type of flood then walked out..

One minute your looking at a 275k payout as the back section lifted off the stumps and all the doors windows blew out ,next minute your looking at 900 hours and i'm back on the chain gang and rebuild the entire property by myself once I jacked it back up from the mud from our savings we got SFA..The only item free was free water for 3 month from the BCC..The only good part was there was a tradesman painter living In the local park down on his luck I walked past him several times when walking was the only way to cure the constant stress ..Told him I have the bbq plate set up in the front yard if he wanted to cook his food..I ended up doing a deal once the power was back on he could stay rent free for 4 months if he painted the place and I bought all the paint he stayed rented the property for six years ..I could post some photos but I still don't like to look at them..

That class action legal part will be finished later this YEAR many years later,again don't throw anything out till the insurance tells you..i hope it works out for you

Beano, Toon, wylie and 2 others like this.
  3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

out This goes to show that these sorts of events hurt, not only the local community, but others far and wide.

Without derailing the thread, my daughter and her partner who lives in Melbourne were advised yesterday that the tenants of their Brisbane property are going to break lease. The tenants moved down from Townville about 6 months ago to set up a Brisbane branch for their business. Now they have to go back to Townsville to sort the mess. We feel for them.

I think we will be amazed how far the ripples of this flood will reach!!!!

willair likes this.
  4. Adelaide

Adelaide Well-Known Member

Both are helpful replies.
    I will ring the I Sundance company.