Townhouses in Brisbane

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Vinnie_Chase, 28th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Vinnie_Chase

Vinnie_Chase Member

Hi,

I've been wondering whether townhouses would see much growth in the inner suburbs of Brisbane (8-12kms from CBD)? I've heard people say that locals still consider them to be too small.

I like the balance between yield and land component of townhouses but I'm uncertain if there would be any capital growth in the short to medium term.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could provide some more insight.

VC

2. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Depends on how distinct it is from a unit. if it has a genuine courtyard of a reasonable size and it is in a small kind of leafy complex with low bc ie feels a bit more like a house is what I would be aiming for otherwise I think it's just going to be influenced by this ridiculous oversupply of apartments.
    and yes it's true Brisbane is still more of a house place than Sydney or Melbourne but that's simply just because of size of the population and size of the city that will change slowly over time

Angel, 733 and Ed Barton like this.
  3. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of TH's in this particular ring of Brisbane. In fact I own a couple in this ring (north and south side - PM me if you want to know more).

Definitely though I only look at small blocks (8 or less or ideally 5-6 or less) on big land sizes, with decent individual courtyards. No pools, no other facilities etc.

LUG if possible, too.

Observer and big max like this.
  4. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

There a several people on this forum who have what you have described and im fairly sure that all of them have done well.

Observer likes this.
  5. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Also, look for older ones with reno opportunity.

6. Observer

Observer Well-Known Member

I've also got one. Doing good so far. As others said aim for small complexes with decent courtyards. Newer ones have nice depreciation which is worth considering. Just don't buy new as there is a premium.

7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Gday Vincenso,
    I wouldn't consider 8-12kms inner suburbs, and I wouldn't go for townhouses myself.
    BUT there are people who are familiar with the market who have done well, sure. How long have you got to research?
    Go for a house.

Sackie likes this.
  8. Vinnie_Chase

Vinnie_Chase Member

At the moment I've got time, at least a couple of months. Budget is around $500-600k. Just so many options! ☺️

9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

With that sort of look for stuff around Balmoral, Bulimba, or Paddington...hipster suburbs...

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

You can even buy freestanding houses for that budget if you choose to do so :eek:

Sackie likes this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

House. Within 12km of cbd. Decent land. Nothing new, potential to add value later on.

That's my prediction for best cg prospects in brissy for your budget.

Whitecat and Azazel like this.
  12. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

Yes, there is.
    within 10 KM of Brisbane CBD, you should get townhouse in Salisbury
    Source: Salisbury PIR - Hotspotcentral
    • Only 9kms from Brisbane CBD with DSR Score trending up 15% in 6 months (currently 33/48)
    • Suburb is gentrifying fast (new coffee shops etc)
    • Townhouses in huge demand (ask any agent in the area)
    • Few townhouses sites available putting a lid on supply
    • Close to Griffith university
    • Walk to train and bus interchange
    • Established area with all the requisite amenities
    • Contemporary layout with quality inclusions
    • Site DA approved with funding offer in place

13. Sarah T

Sarah T Member

I know plenty of people renting townhouses and large units in Carina/carindale area. My volunteer work included trying to find places for ppl to rent In south east brissie. Many Griffith students love Robertson so try there maybe? I'm new so don't listen to me too much:)

Observer likes this.
  14. Sarah T

Sarah T Member

re Salisbury, friends always found it a pain travelling south by public transport without a car. Not sure if it would attract many Griffith uni students? My knowledge of transport in this area is two years old now tho.

15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

For your budget you can get a house in a middle ring suburb, just. You can still get plenty of houses under $600k in Albany Creek and Eatons Hill (further out), and maybe in Everton Park. EP and Mitchelton are getting lots of units built. I dont know about current prices in McDowell and Carseldine but worth considering in your price range.

Townhouses are popular with the older demographic in that mid-ring area from Enoggera and it is hard to find truly lowset ones. The majority are 2 story. The post-War oldies want to move out of large homes into places with less garden but still in the same suburb.

16. radson

radson Well-Known Member

I have one in a complex of 4 in Newmarket with LUG closer to train station. Doing ok, steady as she goes kind of thing.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.