Townhouse or small block?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Nesta, 31st Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nesta

Nesta Active Member

Can anyone enlighten me on whether townhouses or small blocks + house are more worth investing, provided that they are in the same area? Both new.

Townhouses: double storey, 225sqm land, 22SQ, 4-2-2

Small block of land + house: 300sqm land, single storey, 18 something SQ house, 3-2-2 + 1 study

Prices for the above two types of properties are almost exactly the same.

Is the small block + house the better option to invest in this case in terms of CG?

2. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

More info required about location.

Is this about Wyndham Landing? If so,best to keep to the previous thread you started.

3. Nesta

Nesta Active Member

Yes, it is about Williams Landing. There was no reply to my previous thread so I thought my previous question wasn't phrased properly and wasn't put into the most appropriate category.. So I created a new thread with a different question under a different category :)

4. larrylarry

Not a good idea imho. Sometimes you don't get replies because others don't know much about WL.

5. Nesta

Nesta Active Member

Yeah, understood. So I thought I would just post a more generic thread comparing townhouses with small blocks.. Not specific to WL..

Any thoughts around townhouses and small blocks (please see the original post) will be much appreciated

6. larrylarry

Have you looked and spoken with people/agents about the demand for these 2 different products? Have you looked at the potential CG? Pros and Cons of houses v townhouses? Are both in an estate? How many of these small blocks in the estate? Speaking to several local agents would be helpful.

MTR likes this.
  7. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

From my experience (buying/building/living in The New Rouse Hill) and monitoring prices here you will get better capital growth from a House + Small Block compared to a townhouse. You also see substantial differences in CG% of a single-level 3+2+2 versus two-level 4+2+2. It does depend on the location though as to scale of equity growth.

My additional 90k spent on a turnkey 4+2+2 has easily equated to much greater equity growth than buying a spec-built 3+2+2 with similar walking distances to shops/transport.

Perhaps do some analysis at the value growth in terms of $ / sqm of land ( value based on land+house ) by looking at price growth of individual properties.

Similar analysis could be done for townhouse versus house.

Entry cost to buy a townhouse is likely to be lower.

8. Nesta

Nesta Active Member

Yes for a 4-2-2 single level house and a 3-2-2 single level house, I would go for the 4-2-2 as well.

I'm more interested comparing a single level 3-2-2 (18-19SQ) house to a two level 4-2-2 (22SQ) townhouse.. Land size difference is 70sqm, but same price for both products..

9. Nesta

Nesta Active Member

Yes, rental demand for these two products will be about the same in that area. They are in the same estate and almost the same location.

In terms of potential CG, I'm not sure. WL used to only sell regular size land. Townhouses and especially small blocks (300 or under) are new products in WL. There aren't too many small blocks (300 or under) in WL

10. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

I would go with a small block of land as opposed to townhouse as a townhouse would share walls in some occasions and also in terms of CG townhouses are limited in new estates like Williams landing.

Cactus likes this.
  11. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Freestanding smaller house for me. What do the extra fees for the TH add up to versus water, rates and insurance for a small block house? No Body Corp = freedom.

12. larrylarry

I don't like sharing the wall. ;) Other issues like damage in the common areas etc will eat up your gain.

13. melbournian

I think for some townhouses you share walls but not the frontage and backyard. I have seen a lot of these in pt cook and Williams landing.

Cactus likes this.
  14. larrylarry

Hope to meet up with you next time I'm in Victoria, likely to be in May for handover. :)
    Eyes are still roving in Victoria.

melbournian likes this.
  15. melbournian

Sure Whereabouts did u pull the trigger in Melbourne ?

larrylarry likes this.
  16. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

I'd go for the small lot.

Prices in Williams Landing are really getting up there. But the estate is nearly complete and only a year or so of small lots remain before it's all going to be townhouses and apartments.

Therefore CG is likely to be better on the land.

The land also retains the ability to add a second level with a master bed suite at a later date. The townhouse has no such value add remaining.

Each to their own though.

Nesta and Sonamic like this.