Townhouse Love

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by hammer, 16th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I went to a Xmas party last night and weirdly, nearly everyone was living in townhouses.

The party was in a cracking townhouse too.

Loads of people there had bought their townhouse 20 years ago and had no intention of moving. There were families raising kids in them, young professionals and older couples...and no one had any intention whatsoever of upgrading to a house.

All of these people in all their different situations...yet townhouses were working brilliantly for all of them.

This was a bit of a revelation for me as I'd always pictured a townhouse as a temporary home, something you moved in as a starter...yet all these people had no intention of ever bothering with a house.

I don't think that I'll ever look at Townhouses quite the same again...

Angel likes this.
  2. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

It's not about townhouse, house or apartment..

Area demographics, neighbourhood bla bla define the type of the property to be bought!..

3. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

Lots of downsizers that I work for want courtyards, and upsizers have outgrown balconies but can't afford large back yards. Townhouses suit upsizers and downsizers ... and townhouses are relatively scarce.

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Townhouses are simply nicer than apartments; especially the ones where someone maintains the pool and all the gardens. Your average apartment tower is nothing more than lots of bare echoing concrete and strong winds, with high strata costs.

5. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I dont think that's totally fair, there are somegreat appartments too!

But yeah, certainly from what I saw the other night, the townhouse was lovely! Had a nice patio, a pool and was easily as big as most 3br houses. It was also right next to the city.

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Sorry, I was trying to say that Australians have a long-term dislike of "Apartments" due to the majority ugly older ones built many years ago. Of course there are lots of appealing places built recently - it is a stigma thing, I believe.