Townhouse Development in Central Western Adelaide

Discussion in 'Development' started by K B, 2nd Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. K B

K B New Member

We are a family in the western suburbs of Adelaide. We have approximately 4000 square metres of land on 4 adjoining titles. We have 3 different street accesses to the land, 2 on main roads.
    We would like to develop this land. We are thinking townhouses.
    Is this too big a job for first timers?
    Does anyone have recommendations of builders, planning companies that have done projects like this for them and was a smooth process.
    Can anyone tell us the hurdles and extra costs to be prepared for?

2. NickWCBA

NickWCBA Well-Known Member

A friend of mine recently began a joint venture where by they supplied the land and had townhouses built. It was a significant land holding in western Adelaide recently rezoned to allow townhouses.
    My understanding is they approached a real estate agent who engaged builder/developer.
    Essentially they supplied the land and went 50/50 with the profits.

If you know what you’re doing your profits are likely to be better going at it alone. That comes with risks though. Western Adelaide on 4000sqm you’re talking 16-26 townhouses depending on zoning.

Great potential and position to be in! Gotta love those old farmers markets

Best of luck!

3. kum yin lau

kum yin lau Well-Known Member

Hi, it;s been some time since I subdivided my properties. I was a total greenhorn yet managed to build quite a few houses.
    The spec builders will do most of the work for you. I started by visiting the builders. i didn't even have a car then!
    Sterling homes is on Grange Rd I think, very near to your block. If I were you, I'd drop in & just talk to them.
    You do need to have some financial backing. To get to DA, at least twenty to thirty thousand. That's for survey (costs 3x now), drafting costs probably can be delayed to until approval depending on who does it. The other costs won't be due until much later.

Good luck
    KY