Town Planner recommendations - Newcastle Council

Discussion in 'Development' started by Lizzie, 21st Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a Town Planner that has dealt with NCC before? It's not a tricky issue, I've spoken at length with the council Duty/Assessment Officer and could probably tackle it myself, but think it might be safer to engage someone who knows the right wording.

We've got a 100 year old house on a narrow/deep block (rear lane access) that we were going to renovate extensively as it appears structurally sound (level flooring etc) - however - due to the real possibility of internal termite damage that we wouldn't find until gutted (both neighbours had extensive termites) - the cost of completely gutting (asbestos roof, wavy wall coverings, water damaged ceilings) and re-configuring to a more functional internal layout, ie moving windows/walls and trying to fill the weatherboard/timber flooring holes - we've decided the best option would be to simply knock down and re-build like-for-like on the same footprint. Same style frontage - slightly lower height, same external cladding etc

The issue is, because it's a "new" build, we would be too close to the boundaries at 785mm where LEP is 900 - I know - 2-300mm doesn't sound like much but it's a 10m wide block so every centimetre counts. Assessment Officer was adamant that the LEP was a guideline only and that if we wrote a blurb addressing each of the "performance criteria" to justify our build, consistent with the local style, same footprint etc, then it should get a passed no problems.

Hence, would like someone that can write a page or two with wording that tickles the council's fancy and presses the right buttons - for a reasonable price.

2. RyanB

RyanB Well-Known Member

Have dealt with Daly Smith and found them to be excellent

MaxMas likes this.
  3. Eyespy

Eyespy Member

How did you get on with this Lizzie. Looking for my own recommendation too.

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Ended up just knocking it down and starting again. Builder reckoned it would cost more to reno than build new ... so we're building a similar heritage style house, but with all the mod cons like in floor heating, proper insulation etc ... and everything is now straight, square, new and compliant

craigc, Eyespy and Archaon like this.
  5. Eyespy

Eyespy Member

Very sensible Lizzie

Lizzie likes this.
  6. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

And a government chip-in to the costs too ;)

Lizzie likes this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

First "anything" back from the government ever ... no first homeowner grant, no stamp duty exemption, no family benefits, no unemployment ... no nuffin'

craigc and MTR like this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Ditto

Delighted will get $60,000 government grant for my 3 villa development. This grant only applies in WA

craigc and Lizzie like this.