Town planner - Parramatta city council?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Ouga, 6th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Hi all,

I’d like to know what would be possible to build (thinking townhouses maybe?) if I was to acquire my left or right neighbour’s parcel sometime down the road, should they come up for sale one day. Basically trying to determine whether 1 + 1 = 3.

I understand the best person to ask is a town planner with experience in this field - is this correct?

Can someone recommend a town planner operating in the Parramatta City Council area?

Any ballpark figure on expected cost of such study?

Cheers

2. GenericName

GenericName Active Member

This is highly speculative mate, so i doubt that a town planner will entertain the chat if it takes over 2 mins to answer. Most planners i deal with have a heap of work on ATM, and can be hard to get a hold of at the best of times, even if they know you.

So my advise;

The zoning will indicate if you can do it or not. For a starter, R2 maybe, R3 probably. (nothing is guaranteed as Floor space ratios and building heights are needing to be adhered to after this)

Check google maps, satellite areal photos, are there similar allotments within the same block of dwellings that have had similar approvals and construction completed recently using same LEP.
    also, a completed development doesn't mean its a viable deal, however, analysis of the deal could determine if it was or not.

See what developments have had similar approvals and completed works within the immediate location by checking planning portal with council.
    Parra LEP 2011 can be good to a point, however, NSW has a heap of SEPPs and affordable housing schemes which may make development easier/harder depending on where you are or what you are planning to do with the proposed site.

this probably hasnt helped you as you didnt get a yes or no, however, i have noticed a few approved townhouse sites on the market atm without having work started. side note there is a duplex site in Northmead purchased Pre DA now on the market for sale post DA with all contributions paid for less than the initial purchase to me this indicates that the market doesn't have an appetite for development at present.

Ouga likes this.
  3. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

My town planner does a detailes site analysis for about $1100.

Try also contacting a duty planner at the council. Advice is free but limited.

GenericName, The_Billy and Ouga like this.
  4. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Thanks guys, appreciate your input.
    Would like to get a site analysis done and pay for the service of course.
    Not looking at getting anything for free on this front.
    The land is R3, some similar dev done around, but I am not comfortable enough with the numbers to potentially make a decision of this importance based on my rough estimations.
    This is kinda of a hypothetical scenario of course, that's if a neighbour was going to sell at some point.

Still interested in any local contacts you guys may have!

5. The_Billy

The_Billy Well-Known Member

Just wondering if you would be ok divulging their details via PM? Also, do they operate in Sydney?