Town Planner Drawn Feedback

Discussion in 'Development' started by Sparky19_007, 8th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sparky19_007

Sparky19_007 Member

Hi All,

I am doing my first subdivision and I would like some feed back with the Town planner draws.

I asked them to include
    • A bedroom downstairs as this seems to be popular in the area.
    • Kitchen to have a window
    He has spelled bathroom wrong and there seems to be a pantry upper floor, which I can ask them to fix them.

The front of the house has narrow frontage hence why the common pathway for the granges. (See Pic 3)

Also how do I find ideas what people want. I once went to an house inspection and i heard a couple saying how open the kitchen and from the kitchen it open up to the living area into the Pergola so it looks big.

This town houses are in SE Melbourne.

Attached Files:

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Did a town planner do those plans or a Building Designer/architect?

In terms of finding out what the demographic wants, the way I go about it is 1. Talk to REAs in the area who sell similar stock to what you are building and 2. Look at comparable stock on the market and make note of style, inclusions, spec level etc. What you overheard at the open was people talking about open plan living which is a modern way (moving away from compartmentalized living) to organize the internals of a plan so it feels larger and looks more up-to-date with a lot of current homes being built.

Have you done some kind of feasibility to make sure the project stacks up?

Last edited: 8th Nov, 2017
    Perthguy, wylie and Tufan Chakir like this.
  3. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be confident of success at the Council with those drawings.....

4. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

This is not what a Town Planner does, unless they are a draftsman/architect trying to do town planning as well..........which usually ends with neither task being done well......

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Could have been worse, the ground floor Barth room could've been a barf room.

Mustafa Salehi, Sparky19_007 and RPI like this.
  6. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Town Planners shouldn't draw plans
    Surveyors & Drafties shouldn't do town planning

7. Scott No Mates

If a planner can't draw plans, maybe they should get a new job description. :rolleyes:

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

@Sparky19_007 thanks for reaching out to me and asking me to look at your plans.

I have a hectic day with handover and getting a property staged today but I will comment on your plans as they need it.

I'll write it up as I can today and post it on here

9. Sparky19_007

Sparky19_007 Member

Hi everyone, sorry this is the initial drawings from the archuc
    Thanks. Yes This is architect design

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I am no drawing expert by any means, but those drawings are not great. I'd listen carefully to what suggestions others make and then work with the architect to tweak and modify the plans.

Have you done any feasibility on the project? Do you know what kind of return you can expect?

11. Sparky19_007

Sparky19_007 Member

Hi All,
    Maybe
    Hi Leo2413, Yeah we did profit assessment.

I understand you said the draws are not great. These are initial drawings from the architect. They send to us to see if we are happy with the design of the house. I have noticed the architect didn't include a bathtub, I believe people these days like these days a bathtub.

Sorry everyone. This is architect not town planner draws

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Can I ask what the profitability is showing?

With regards to the bathtub, I wouldn't be going off what you 'think' people want. Have you spoken to REAs about what the demographic wants? Have you looked at comparable properties to what your building and made a note of the features/inclusions?

13. Sparky19_007

Sparky19_007 Member

Thanks Westminster. Looks like you are the only can would give me feedback. I know I said Town Planner. I miss understood town planner and architect.
    I just want some feedback with the design of the house which the architect drew... Like the cupboards, change the staircase directions to get more space. I do like a cellar somewhere hopefully to attract buyers :)
    Thank you in-advance.

14. Scott No Mates

There are 2 bathtubs in the upstairs bathrooms, neither have a separate shower. All single vanities not double basins.

15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I was just about to post that. tbh I'm surprised an architect designed this.

16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

What makes you think a cellar is needed and will attract buyers for this type of development?

17. Scott No Mates

Might be in Snowtown SA?

18. Westminster

What is your end product valuation?

To be honest these look they have been drawn by a first year architectural student. If this is the very very very first concept and not much work has been done I might excuse it but probably not even then. If you have designed them yourself then fair go but you need a professional.

Have these been seen by a town planner as it's a fine line between good design and making it also comply with town planning rules.

Anyway. I'll start at the front and keep going

- you could improve the flow by making the porch go all the way to Bedroom 1's wardrobe then put the front door on the side to reduce the number of turns in the corridor. You would need to then move the door from the garage and I'd put that at the other side of the garage.
    - get rid of the lobby. It's awkward and serves no purpose. If you want more storage then do it better.
    - once you get rid of the lobby and just have a normal generous corridor then you can increase the length of the robe for the downstairs bedroom and move the doorway to it further into the corridor. You could take this all the way up to where the ensuite meets the corridor if you wanted This will increase the ammenity to this room which is really quite small for a guest suite/alternative master bedroom
    - in the ensuite to bed 1 make the shower at least 1200x900 and make the vanity double if possible
    - powder room is fine but if you need to take space from it to create a larger ensuite for Bed 1 then use some of the space under the stairs
    - stairs are fine but could be better as they do take up quite a bit of space as an L. Might be better as a straight run or half run with turn 180 degrees
    - this area behind the stairs, laundry and kitchen is a mess. You have heaps of space so there is no need to have a laundry in a cupboard, you just took thousands off your end value.
    - get rid of what looks like a half height linen under the stairs
    - wall off the laundry area from the kitchen with a door from the kitchen next to where the hotplate is
    - create a nice L shape laundry with a door to the outside
    - increase the size of the kitchen island bench
    - add a pantry
    - I'd probably put the dining room area next to the stairs and the island bench
    - the living room is a little awkard but see what's left and where you'd put your tv etc
    - that pergola is useless. If you want money and a good indoor outdoor flow then make it 3 x 3m at least

Upstairs
    - I gather that pantry thing is a kitchenette. Get rid of it. They are only good if you have an additional living room upstairs and the area where it is, is not big enough for that and made even smaller by the kitchenette
    - master bedroom is a very large size
    - the ensuite needs a double vanity and a shower, again 1200 x 900 minimum. Get rid of the bath
    - get rid of the balcony unless there are views. It will be expensive, add no value to the house and you could spend that money elsewhere. It will seem enclosed as you'll need screening to a heigh of 1600mm so there is no point even having it
    - bedroom 2 and 3 are quite small but not terrible. Check dimensions of other houses in the area and talk to REAs if it should be bigger
    - put a separate shower and bath in the bathroom

19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

THs are in SE Melbourne.

20. Westminster

You need to know your famous murder suburbs better @Leo2413 but anyway Snowtown the bodies were in a bank vault not a cellar

Scott No Mates likes this.