Food & Dining Tortillas or enchiladas?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by JDP1, 7th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jerry O

Jerry O Well-Known Member

that's one tasty Enchilada Geof! yummm! I could eat that everyday for two weeks then go back to my KFC or Maccas diet..

geoffw likes this.
  2. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

Wow, that looks yum.

I was in Monterrey for 3 months but never saw traditional mexican stuff. A lot available in Australia though. :D

The only thing i liked was pretty ladies. :p

Regards

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Mexican food varies enormously by region. It's one of the most varied cuisines in the world, behind only China and India. So food in Monterrey (Monterrey in Mexico I'm assuming rather than California?) may be quite different to what you will find in other regions.

And I married a pretty lady ;-)

ashish1137, vbplease and sanj like this.
  4. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Agreed, i think mexican food is criminally underrated and misunderstood, like indian food. Both cuisines are a lot more varied, lighter and often healthier than what is commonly served in restaurants etc.

Eg Ive had some amazing mexican soups that for whatever reason i never associated it with in the past and the more interesting mexican food i try the more i realise how little i know about it. Hopefully get to visit sometime soon.

Do you and your wife make cochinita pibil? Ive only had it once but holy moly it was a religious experience.

vbplease likes this.
  5. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Agree, Mexican food is up there with the best cuisines of the world.. I may be guilty of liking tex-mex a bit more than authentic Mexican though.
    I'm convinced chipotle sauce alone is one of the best creations mankind has come up with. Fish tacos, chili rellenos.. the list is endless.

I didn't know rice was used so much in their cuisine until travelling there?

geoffw likes this.
  6. geoffw

Yes. This is what she was using for her pork taco fillings in the store. I love it.

sanj likes this.
  7. geoffw

It's used, but not as much as say tortillas or beans. It's done Mexican style.

That reminds me of a restaurant in Medellin which served a rice side- not Mexican, but just a lovely coconut rice which was very dark in colour. Apparently it was cooked with Coca Cola.

8. ashish1137

Lucky you. :D

I went to Monterrey Mexico. I loved the place.
    The lady owing the place where we went for lunch used to cook Indian curries for us (8 of us ):D
    Which we taught to her. Sometimes, it was avocado salads (Some dish I dont recall the name) but it was awesome to fill it in tacos and eat.
    Most of the time it was mexican tacos and indian curries for just 14 mexican dollars. Man, i miss it.:(

I think it is awesome place. The only problem was language. Still i managed to learn some words which helped me stay there.

Sorry for stealing the thread, where were we. Ohh yes, tacos, right? :D:p

9. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

U spent 3 months in mexico and didnt eat much mexican food??? How did u resist?

10. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Indians ... tsk tsk. They have to have curries everywhere ;)

ashish1137 and sanj like this.
  11. ashish1137

First, i had left eating meat and chicken. So the only option was pizza hut or subway.
    Second, i was getting home made food even in Mexico. The shop owner was crazy about cooking Indian food so all of us went there to have lunch.
    Third, we were all bachelor group who forced other flatmates (including us) to have turns and cook Indian food.
    Fourth, everyone who came brought spices with them which lasted for at least 6 -8 months. So ample groceries as no one stayed for more than 6 months.

Do I need more reasons? :D

I have tried more options in Australia then in Mexico or UK. UK was all chicken dum biryani (i started chicken again after coming back from Mexico - Irony):mad:

Now I am again a vegetarian.:cool: Hope you are not much confused over it.

Well, curries are awesome. Malaysians, Sri Lankans, all Asians, even English love em. ;)

Regards

12. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

The crispy oz ones suck. They're impossible to eat without breaking apart and getting the filling all over your hands and clothes.

13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

14. geoffw

You're right. I'd forgotten about what the Spanish call tortilla. Which is what we might call an omelette (of sorts).

But you wouldn't be talking about one of those in association with an enchilada.

15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

You might ask which is easier to cook.
    Tortilla.

16. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Yes Spanish tortilla is this, big thick omelette with potato, onion and whatever else you want to put in there. Easy. Can also be baked like a quiche.
    [​IMG]

Favorite food in Mexico were the streetside tamales. Now that I can speak rough Spanish Id like to go back again.

Azazel likes this.
  17. geoffw

Tamales are good. My wife makes them.

But they're not good for you. Lots of lard id used in the making.

18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I reckon when the Spanish went over to the Americas, it kind've got lost in translation. A tortilla went from the awesome potato omellette to a flat bead. Probably lacking all the ingredients by the time the boats arrived.

19. geoffw

Considering that potatoes came from the new world, I'm sure that's what happened.

20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Thus endeth the reckoning.