Top loader vs. front loader + dryer space

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by sigi, 15th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sigi

sigi Active Member

We're doing a cheap cosmetic reno to the laundry of our 2 bedroom duplex half in Perth. It's our PPOR for now but will become an IP in about 4 years.

The laundry really needs some cupboards and a new sink, but it's big enough to add some bench space as well. The problem is that we currently have a large top loader washing machine that is pretty old but does the job for now.

Would you:

1. Bank on washing machine lasting a while longer. Build cabinetry around washing machine, which would mean little/no bench space and no room for dryer.
    2. Replace washing machine with front loader. Build cabinetry that fits around standard front loader and also allows room for a dryer in the future.

2. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

What about getting a front loader that also does drying?
    Google Shopping – Product not found

mcarthur, Beelzebub and Stoffo like this.
  3. sigi

sigi Active Member

We're not really bothered about having a dryer. It's more about leaving the space so tenants can have a dryer in the future. We've got a Hills Hoist in the backyard so plenty of line space, but there's not much room for drying inside in winter.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd work around a front loader. Don't build cupboards around an old, bulky washing machine.

KayTea and Propertunity like this.
  5. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Number 2 for sure. I can't see what the advantage with option 1 is apart from saving a bit of money now.

Propertunity likes this.
  6. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

I haven't converted thinking to front loaders yet - we still have an old faithful top loader.

Regardless of which you have, wouldn't there be space for the dryer above the washing machine?

7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Wish l had pics of my old laundry :(
    Went with the frontloader dryer idea as @hammer suggested
    (No reason you cant have a standard front loader there instead)
    Built it in under the bench top, cupboards for the remainder
    Freed up a heap of space with a half laundry tub also ;)

8. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

What kind of reno are you planning? Laminated benchtop? What about a hinged bench top? Gives you the best of both worlds.. sits a little higher and over the lid of the top loader, but can easily fold back when you want to do a load..

OR leave the washing machine as is.. and allow space for a dryer to be mounted above it.

Sonamic likes this.
  9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I would simply build the cabinets leaving a space for the washer.

In the future, residents can have a top loader with a dryer wall mounted above or stack a front loader with a dryer on top.

Unless you intend to leave appliances when it becomes an IP, I would not build in or above the washer space. This gives maximum flexibility to future tenants who will probably already own a washer.
    Marg

wylie and WestOz like this.
  10. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

After reading op I was going to type what @Marg4000 said, saved me the trouble ;)

Marg4000 likes this.
  11. wylie

I guess Marg's idea is right. If you build to suit a front loader and a potential tenant has a top loader you could lose that potential tenant.

Building cabinets with a removable section of bench gives you the best of both worlds. The idea (above) of a lift up section would be ok but gives tenants one more thing to snap off or drop on their own fingers.

12. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Our son's house has a bench built right around the laundry in an L shape. He has managed to fit a front loader under one side with the dryer under the other with less than a centimetre of wriggle room. How much easier if there had just been a space where he could have stacked them.

That room is earmarked for renovation.....one day!
    Marg

13. sigi

sigi Active Member

Thanks everyone. The only wall space where you could hang a dryer has the retic controller and gas pipes on the wall, whereas there would be room to put a washer and dryer side by side under the bench. I like the idea of making the benchtop removeable over the washing machine, will have to have a play around with that. :)

14. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Another consideration.
    How many times does anyone (not in an apartment) actually use a dryer each year, personally I'm lucky if I use it once, but I'm a bachelor.

Rather than talking up space in the laundry, plus the dust they can cause, I have mine in hanging in the garage or shed.

15. luckyone

luckyone Well-Known Member

I've used a few front load washing machines and have hated all of them (while on holidays and at my parents house). They don't seem to wash my clothes as well as my top-loader at home, and my mum's one is particularly bad in that you need to put all the clothes through 5 rinse cycles to get all the soap out of the clothes. I would never buy one!

16. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I use my dryer ALL THE TIME. I bought one last year and never hang a load anymore. Such a time saver.

Westminster and Phase2 like this.
  17. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

At least 3x per week. Mine's a fancy heat-pump version with 2 lint traps and a condenser. So it doesn't use as much energy, or fill my laundry with moisture/lint.

18. wylie

Wow. Interesting. Must have been crappy cheapies? I'd never go back to a top loader but I stick with Asko. So much gentler on clothes and power and water saving is far superior to any top loader I've used anywhere on holidays.

19. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

I like the smell of sun dried clothes & my power bills ~ $100 incl f&c's :p

20. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member