Entertainment & Music Top Gear

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Bayview, 1st Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I'm not a petrol head by any stretch of the imagination, but I do like nice cars, and as part of my attempts to keep in contact and bond with my older Son, I began watching Top Gear with him some months ago...

We have pretty much every episode ever made on the Foxtel Planner - working through them and still to watch many.

I love it.

The Special Guest Lap section is great, and the often crazy challenges are brilliant.

The three guys are funny, witty, silly; Jeremy is very non-PC (which I love) and it is generally very good entertainment overall.

2. Digitalism

Digitalism Active Member

Anyone heard if Jeremy and the boys will start their own show?

There was rumors of Netflix getting involved.

3. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

They have signed with Amazon :) Top Gear (or at least the same trio under a different show name) will be back!

4. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

yep.. In the making now... Apparently Amazon paid very handsomely for them.

** LOL Beat me to it.

They also got the brains behind Top Gear, Andy Wilman who was the shows producer.

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

It seems that the BBC are continuing with TopGear with Chris Evans to host and suggestions of a revolving set of co-hosts (even Jenson Button has been mentioned as a potential co-host!).

I give them 1 season before it gets axed.

Personally, as much as I enjoyed the antics of the Top Gear trio over the years - the last couple of seasons felt very laboured - almost as if they were just going through the motions. There really didn't seem to be any passion left in the show - it was time for them to move on anyway IMO.

Whether they can make a compelling new series for Amazon will be interesting to see - personally I think they are all just a bit too old and ornery to be of much interest any more - unless they are encouraged to be as un-PC as possible, and thus cater to the Bayviews of the world :p

Personally, I have actually enjoyed Fifth Gear far more in recent years - the current lineup of hosts is excellent and I love the interaction between them all - especially in team tests. When Tiff Needell and Jason Plato go head-to-head in their little competitions, the interaction between them is great - the fact that they are both such talented racers with similar-but-different personalities and racing styles makes it all that more interesting.

I also think Vicki Butler-Henderson is great - it was amazing to see her presenting a car show while heavily pregnant a few years ago - wouldn't have imagined that happening in the past! I have also grown to enjoy Jonny Smith's segments too - I love his humour and his indepth knowledge of all things motoring more than makes up for being the only non-racer there.

Last edited: 1st Sep, 2015
  6. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I'm offended.

Consider yourself reported. :p

Chrispy likes this.
  7. Rumplestiltskin

Rumplestiltskin Well-Known Member

I tend to agree. Top Gear was a great show, posssibly the best television of the last decade or so. The problem was that Clarkson whilst initially great, slowly and in more recent years, rapidly morphed into a complete twat.

Chris Evans is already a complete twat so unless he can do the reverse, it's not going to be a happy ending.

Simon Hampel and wylie like this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Loved it for a long time ... but a bit like Mythbusters ... after a decade it just seems to feel like same old same old ... with the challenges getting a bit "try hard" and some of the "other country" escapades rather idiotic

Simon Hampel likes this.
  9. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

I've found Top Gear USA to be more entertaining (since season 3, don't bother with the first 2 seasons) than the last year or 2 of the UK show. Yes, ok, Tanner Foust always gets to drive the "reward" car through cheating or other means and that's beyond predictable but the other two guys are actually ok to watch.

10. Daniel007

Daniel007 Well-Known Member

Chris harris is my favourite, i used to love top gear but the last few seasons were terrible.

11. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

For the computer gamers out there, Star Citizen used Top Gear as the template for one of their spaceship commercials.

12. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Yes - agree completely. The first two seasons were okay, but you are quite correct in that the remaining seasons were so much better once they found their rhythm and dropped any pretence of trying to have a "studio" audience like they do for the UK version (which I always thought was a bit silly really).

Yes, it is formulaic - yes, Tanner always gets to drive the reward car, but it's the interaction between the three cast members which makes it so entertaining - another example of excellent casting and why Top Gear UK is doomed to failure without stronger cast members, and why Top Gear AU never really worked that well - they just didn't quite get the right mix (they were close - but not quite there).