Top 1%

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 26th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its interesting what you have said

I watched struggle street some time ago now on ABC, dont hold that against me:).

One of the participants had been searching for a job for years??? He had alcohol issues

During the program He was offered jobs by various business owners, he rejected these because he preferred his lifestyle on struggle street

You can take a horse to water but you cant make it drink

wylie likes this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Top 1% of wealth is fine and all.

Personally I'm nowadays a lot more interested in successful folks who are also happy and at peace in life.

I think many who (just) chase the money think it will lead to them to eventually finding happiness and living a great lifestyle.

It's proven to be unequivocally not the case in reality.

3. alexpreston

alexpreston Well-Known Member

The thing I find a bit weird (and okay, a bit annoying) is that almost all of the websites and calculators for "top richest" etc all focus on income. I'm decently wealthy, but according to all those websites I'm very poor, since my annual income is near $0.

Bris developer likes this.
  4. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

This is something I have given more thought as of late.
    spent many years linking happiness to having certain material items or reaching financial goals.
    The danger in this is that at some point you might actually attain those items and reach those financial goals. Then you move the post a little and start again. The real problem is after having come to this point and meeting these markers a few times over you come to the realisation that these items and goals will not necessarily bring you to happiness.

I thought I needed to hold onto the idea that it’s these items or goals that will deliver me happiness and once I realised that was not the case I had to accept that maybe happiness will just elude me.

But I really think the problem is that we have misunderstood what happiness is. The media / social media has lead us to believe that happiness is waking up every morning with a big smile on our face, birds chirping outside, sun shining bright, clear blue sky’s looking over the ocean as we skip along singing about our perfect lives.

That’s the image we have of happiness. But that’s not real life. In the real world you will have good days and you will have bad days. At times you will feel down, even if there is no real reason to be down.
    Happiness should be seen as being content, stopping every know and then and appreciating what you do have rather than what you don’t. Just recognising that what you have material and otherwise is pretty good. This is something that I have been working on trying to remember more often. It’s easy to forget this and fall into the trap of searching for more.

Be content people. :)

craigc, Lizzie, samiam and 7 others like this.
  5. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Lizzie and wylie like this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You bring up many good points, some of which resonate with my own journey. First it's being a millionaire. Then multimillionaire. Then X net worth. Then X passive income. Then X car, X home etc.

Sure they have an effect for awhile but like as you've also realised, the 'happiness' they bring is really just fleeting, in the grand scheme of life.

I have devoted much time and thought to the subject of happiness and living a great lifestyle.

Based on everything I've read, I have made some conclusion with regards to financial wealth and happiness. No matter how financially wealthy we may be in life, if we

1. are not generally happy and fulfilled in our intimate relationships, we will not be truly happy in life.

2. are not accepting and happy with our bodies, we will not be truly happy in life.

3. are not content and fulfilled by what we do for 50 or so hours a week for work/business etc, we will not be truly happy in life.

Based on that, I've tried very hard to work on all those 3 areas. I've also come to the conclusion that 'happiness' and living a great lifestyle, (whatever that means for the individual) is not something that just happens. It actually needs to be worked on/tweaked etc until an inner peace is finally revealed . Perhaps some call it enlightenment . Who knows. I'm still working on it.

And finally gratitude. For life. For health. For family. For the air we breathe. For Earth. For love.

Last edited: 2nd May, 2021
    craigc, Firefly99, Lizzie and 4 others like this.
  7. alexpreston

alexpreston Well-Known Member

Wow, turns out I've been misunderstanding happiness this whole time.

I thought happiness was getting those *@%# birds to shut the hell up.

craigc, samiam, Beano and 2 others like this.
  8. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Long time ago I was walking along and coming up to 2 women on the footpath, and just as we passed each other I heard this one sentence from one of them:
    "You don't notice your progress in life because you are always raising the bar." That stayed with me

qak and Big A like this.
  9. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

You must have the wrong birds outside your window. That explains your unhappiness. :D

Observer and chrissyroc like this.
  10. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

I do find blue skies and clean air make me happier than grey skies or smoke-filled air. :)

I think as long as you have sufficient funds to cope in a catastrophic disaster, you are rich.

Disasters, whether they be health, legal, business or home related, are always going to be difficult to deal with. But not having to worry about the financial ramifications (ie having the financial horsepower to fix) assists in preventing being completely emotionally overwhelmed.

I am rich. :)

Gockie, balwoges and Lizzie like this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

freyja and Big A like this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Peter Jordanson is great, same point stop chasing happiness

13. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Good read. Point 12. Looking after ones body. Everyone thinks about exercise and eating well but the power of massage is something I prescribe to. I get a deep tissue / sports massage weekly. Does wonders for the body and mind.

Sackie and MTR like this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Ironically....I dont think property forums help in this pursuit.

qak, Millie, SuperOlaf and 3 others like this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Great point and you're probably right.

I've had to look elsewhere over the years to help me with that part of my journey.

It's actually very ironic if you think about it. Most of us invest because at the end of the day we ultimately want greater happiness for ourselves and love ones.

Yet many now realise that financial wealth alone will not get us that happiness.

If we assume financial wealth is 1/4 of the pie for happiness.

I wonder how many folks are also focusing on improving the remaining 3/4...

MTR likes this.
  16. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

To me gratuity first then fulfilment. Every night I think of three things I am grateful for that happened in that day.
    So gratuity to me is my mental appreciation whereas fulfilment is more my active practical appreciation.
    Then success seems just a natural progression if you have something to be grateful for everyday.
    I never take for grated what I have and to me being wealthy is not just about money like most people think so it is not just economics is has to encompass mental and spiritual aspects too. Financial wealth is just one aspect which is very helpful as it can provide access say to best medicine in time of need, but other aspects of importance are also health, family, spirituality, social relationships, giving.
    As JR said in "What constitutes a good life" I try to live by such virtues as now I often make sure in our busy day to remember the true purpose and the reasons why I do certain things in my live:
    Jim Rohn Articles - What Constitutes A Good Life?

craigc likes this.
  17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Happiness and contentment are two different things.

wylie, willair, Islay and 2 others like this.
  18. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

After a period of living on content, job satisfaction, helping others, we realised we were bloody poor :oops: so ended up at this forum, becoming capitalist and now we are a tad happier :p

kierank and Big A like this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

So it means???? You made some $$$$$ .... oh no ??? So $$$ makes you happy.... it will be short lived I assure you...whats the next hit??

20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Says the material girl. :p

MTR likes this.