Too small ?

Discussion in 'Innovative Property Investment Techniques' started by Paul@PAS, 20th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Interesting. I don't love it but I kind of admire them for what they've managed to achieve. I think it could still be improved upon.

In WA if the door to the toilet is self closing and there is ventilation/exhaust you can have a toilet off the kitchen. It's still quite off putting though especially in that scenario where the toilet is right in front of the door and not to the side or anything like that.

I agree that a microwave oven would be better than a dishwasher but you could have both if you bought compact models. You can stack a dishdrawer compact dishwasher underneath a convection microwave (combi oven microwave) which is compact sized as well.

I see that the bar fridge wasn't big enough for the current owners and they put a full size fridge next to the bed.

Having an internal and external door certainly takes up space but at least the external door acts like a window.

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

The listing says it has a washer dryer... not sure where it's hidden though...

3. Westminster

It's hiding in the vanity in the bathroom. It's an extra deep vanity with the basin to one side so that the washer can fit behind the doors.

4. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Are there scratch marks on the walls from a previous "swinging cat" test?

Kesse likes this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Probably included the m2 of the bed when its not out. Deduct 5m2 for the bed in use.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Then they could have painted floor white too ?
    Polisher too big for the room :p.
    Piece of sandpaper folded in half might do the whole room in one pass.

Westminster likes this.
  7. Westminster

I think a lot of the storage is at ceiling height so the 5sqm doesn't all detract from floor space

Cupboards above the bathroom door
    [​IMG]

Cupboards above entrance door

[​IMG]

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Tools

Tools Well-Known Member

I built something very similar about 15 years ago in central Melbourne, just behind russell st.

It would have been about 6m long and maybe 1.8m wide. I had turned the adjacent building in to warehouse shells earlier and all had been sol off. This space was in fact a parking space but it was off a lane and being so narrow was not much use for anything but a motorbike., and the developer had not been able to move it on.

There were 5 storey walls on 3 sides and a roller door at the entrance. We built a roof over and had a seperate bathroom at the far end, a small gallley kitchen and sofa bed. A new door and windows were installed but the roller door remained so when down you would never know the place existed.

It sold pretty quickly for about $140,000 as I recall.

Tools

charttv, Adele and wylie like this.
  9. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

A bit larger than this will be the future of Melbourne and Sydney in a few years. As people live more of their life through the PC, gaming, and VR, more and more are not having children, the need for a large space will become less and less by younger generations.

Think, when you upgrade to a massive 30sqm how much you would satisfaction you would feel for having achieved the dream.

Perthguy likes this.
  10. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Exaggeration much? There is zero to support your claim a bit larger than this will be the future of Melbourne and Sydney in just a few years? How many is a few btw? 3?10?20? How much is a bit larger? 50% more? Double even?

Even in Hong Kong, a city faaar more extreme than Sydney in terms of not only prices but dwelling sizes, the average NEW apartment size built is 45dqm

charttv likes this.
  11. Do Androids Dream

Do Androids Dream Well-Known Member

There'd only be enough room for her to sleep in the mini bar fridge :eek:

12. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

... it seems your sarcasm detector is broken! :confused:

Perthguy likes this.
  13. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Apologies. There have been some amazingly outlandish claims here lately so it can be hard to differentiate.

14. Plutus

Plutus Well-Known Member

Outrageous for the price, but if it was 50% the price with better execution (surely there would be a way to split off the bathroom?) I'd be keen. Nice little Pied-à-terre for Monday to Friday then have a secondary place way outside of the city.

15. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Surely just springing for a sliding obscured glass screen wall could at least make this dwelling a little more palatable.

After working on renovating a number of 60s flats recently, the plumbing core to the kitchen tells me this is one half of an original 32sqm ground floor studio flat. The floor boards would have easily allowed the relocation of the plumbing works for the new bathroom with the boiler room / laundry under.

BTW it took me about 25 mins to understand what SS&S was.....:oops: