Too late to list property for sale in early Dec or wait until Jan?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by MJay, 15th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MJay

MJay Member

Just looking for feedback whether first week of Sydney is too late to list property for sale or should we wait until mid-Jan to put it on the market?

Property is our PPOR in Sydney - 2 bedroom house 30km out from city.

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Get in quick before the doomsdayer's win o_O

Have you found an agent, had photo's done, finished the odd jobs and "presented" the place all ready for an open ?
    All the above takes time :p

I'd say best to list ASAP, if Sydney is easing then nearing the hols might be the best time, whilst everyone else waits till after New Years :cool:

3. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

I think you meant first week of December. :D

Have a chat with one of your local RE agents. Hopefully once you get past all their bs about why you should list with them you can get a sense of what's best for you.

Personally I think it's too late to list now for sale in December. People are normally planning their Christmas and end of year celebrations around this time so I would wait and list the property in Jan for sale in Feb.

Good luck

4. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

It'll probably take that long just to prep the campaign (I wouldn't know though, never sold a house before).

Stoffo and hammer like this.
  5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I'd list as soon as possible if families are your target market.

Many people move to coincide with the new school year. Now would be a good time to buy to ensure the move could be completed over the school holidays.
    Marg

balwoges likes this.
  6. private_number

private_number Well-Known Member

List it now (assuming you don't want it to go to auction) and have settlement in the first couple weeks of the new year.

7. thu555

thu555 Well-Known Member

I'd go after the holidays. I always go house shopping and take a bet of negotiating down the price towards the end of the year. It does work. Which means, it is not an ideal time of the year to sell. Most people (potential buyers) may have already started their holidays!

8. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean by late, January is later than Nov. I have found November is the best time to list a property Buyers just want to get a house have certianty and not be left up in the air over Christmas and get settlement done and be able to move in before Feb. If you leave it much latter than now, it could be difficult to get settlement done for the buyers need, as many conveyancers take a long break from before Christmas to well into Jan.

9. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member