Too good at being good....???

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Sackie, 8th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Water is free at most places (by law in NSW). You can even go to Maccas and get a free cup of water without buying anything.

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Well I feel much better now that others experience this same inner conflict I must say ....:oops::D

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Looong ago... I used to go into borders and take photos of investment book pages....

KayTea and lisawithane like this.
  4. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

Sometimes i set myself a goal. If i achieve it i will let myself buy what ever i was holding back from. This serves two purposes: prolongs the decision making process - if you still want it in 6 months then it is probably worth getting, and it also gives some extra incentive/excitement to reach the goal.

Current goal is subdivision of one block and rezoning of the other. Hopefully have both done in 3 months.

Ben Wilkie and Jess Peletier like this.
  5. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

IMO developing a mindset of sacrificing is useful to start something, but could potentially hold you back from going big.

If you want to go big (depends on lifestyle dreams/goals), you want to develop an income focussed mindset. Maybe its just me, but part of that income producing mindset includes relative rewards for yourself. Ignoring cost/value aside, humans want things (or at least are brainwashed to wanting by some clever marketing!). Wanting is one powerful form of desire. Tap into that desire to focus on building income so you can get it.

If you quash the desire to want/demand by sacrificing, you may be quashing something powerful that helps you go big.

Investing may be part of that income mentality, but for the bigger goals i suspect investing is either a secondary activity/place to put excess income, and the focus is on developing value to the marketplace.

Toon, MTR, Aaronjod and 3 others like this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I agree, great point @Redom. Similar theme to one of the other threads about becoming more valuable to the marketplace.

7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

It might be free in pubs, clubs & Maccas, but it certainly isn't at the majority of places. Try asking for a FREE cup of water at the local take-away shop, or a service station.

8. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

Just buy it and surprise her?

I'm conservative with money - Hubby is not allowed to buy me flowers because it's a waste of money ;) - but he splurged many years ago on a beautiful diamond (upgraded my engagement ring) and I still savour it putting it on each day. I would NEVER had agreed to it but it doesn't mean I don't like it all the same.

KayTea and Sackie like this.
  9. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I do this too - it helps to keep achieving new things rather than stagnating, and gives meaning to the thing you're buying rather than just burning cash buying toys for no purpose.

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

That crossed my mind. I have done in the past, but I wanted her to pick something she really liked.

freyja likes this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

:D I hear ya

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'll lend you my phone when I buy it.

popoobox likes this.
  13. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

I think this is a pretty common psychological phenomenon. People who live their lives frugally often find it difficult to adjust to spending it. It's the great irony really, you sacrifice and spend your life saving so that you will be better off when you're older only to find that you feel bad or guilty for spending the money.

Think of the way people who lived through the depression view money compared to someone like myself. Another example is a family friend / old lady and pensioner who recently went into a community retirement home after selling her house in Brighton. At 80 she has about $1million in the bank from the sale of her house after paying for the new retirement place. Me and my girlfriend took her shopping for a new desk chair, we couldn't talk her into buying the more expensive comfortable one. I also remember her daughter (another family friend) telling us how scared she was of losing her pension after selling her home. She is apparently getting better with the concept of spending her money though, so that's good

14. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I thinks it's good to reward your self every now and then. It makes you feel good.

And it doesn't necessarily have to be a material gift to yourself or loved one.

Now, we live in a lucky country with plenty of everything. As I just polished off some KFC, it got me thinking.

Yep, I'm gonna make a donation to some refugee agency. There's been plenty of bad news lately over on the other side of the world.

My $40 one off, will get someone a few square meals And it's tax deductible. I feel better now.

MTR likes this.
  15. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Way to big and useless, you want a phone that makes calls, if you must have one without a cord, then get a wireless home phone from an op shop, they have about 50m wireless reception & there are phone socket outlets wherever you go, no need for the extra monthly bill and just so you can pose to people on the bus and train....

16. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Um, that's a new car at that price. I will give you a friend of mines number, his limit is 500 bucks for a car, and I kid you not.

juzzy likes this.
  17. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I think the other thing is when you splurge (relatively speaking) and you get really disappointed when the product/experience doesn't live up to the relative splurge value.

I'm staying at an expensive relatively up market hotel as I write in Vietnam - and unfortunately I am tossing on whether to give it a 2 star or whether it actually scrapes in for a 3 star on a tripadvisor review.

The place we stayed at a few months ago was cheaper, less glitzy, but HEAPS better from so many aspects (including the service believe it or not).

The Y-man

Sackie likes this.
  18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up @dabbler . I hadn't considered a landline with a cordless phone.

I will need to test the market, call for EOI's and engage a consultant as I fear that I am out of my depth.

19. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

I know the feeling.. I am such a diligent saver that I feel terrible for going out for dinner once or twice a week for the last month or so... Despite the fact that for the hearty pub meals are $10 and my local Indian place is $15 (awesome portions)!! SOOOO much convenient yummy food! In my defence I am still adjusting to working full time... I will hopefully have a better routine once I settle down!

20. juzzy

juzzy Well-Known Member

@Leo2413 did you want to swap your wife for my fiancee?

You can spoil my fiancee and buy her nice things and your wife can help me save and build a property portfolio! :p

Sackie likes this.