Too close to the motorway?

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Deimonic, 20th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Deimonic

Deimonic New Member

Newbie question but I was wondering if being too close to the motorway has an impact on a properties value? If so how much less approximately?

For example the house linked below is about 250-300m from the motorway and part of the house is in the transport noise corridor on the council maps. How much would approx would the house be worth where it currently is Vs if it were 500m-1km from the motorway?
    7 Fleet Street Eagleby Qld 4207 - House for Sale #122436150 - realestate.com.au

2. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

For me it is similar to rail lines, air flight paths etc:

- Can you see it
    - Can you hear it
    - Does it affect access to the property
    - What do the locals think

wylie likes this.
  3. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Go check the place for yourself

On the other hand that location is not bad - could be on and off the freeway quiet quickly and from experience that seems to be most time spent on roads in brisbane (getting on and off the fwy)

4. Deimonic

Deimonic New Member

Thanks for the input. I'm not the best judge of noise as I'm partially deaf and can sleep through construction!

When I visited the property I couldn't see the m1. Couldn't really hear it because the neighbors were loud though I could hear a distant siren. It doesn't affect access the property as far as I know.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That is not too close (for me) assuming a few things -

. you cannot hear the motorway
    . you cannot see the motorway

If you cannot judge that yourself due to your hearing issues, I would get someone with good hearing to go with you at different times of the day (peak hour for sure plus other times) and see.

There are streets in Holland Park that I wouldn't touch because the hum from the freeway is ever present. Noise tends to rise, but noise can be affected by bouncing off other structures, barriers etc. You need to sit there and see for yourself.

6. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

A tip I learned the hard way is, if you're viewing a place anywhere near a freeway, visit midweek rather than just the weekend. We viewed our home at the weekend, fell in love and bought it. Moved in and guess what, deafening freeway noise all night midweek. A mistake we'll only make once. It's a ppor though, for an ip location seems more important.

Hanison and Ouga like this.