Too close to call? development experts help :)

Discussion in 'Development' started by Arnel, 24th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

Try Dial before you dig?
    yes go for the driveway @ 3-3.5m and maybe try for another crossover for the front house?
    Also don't forget to factor that pool in. Last time I checked it was 10K+ to have removed and prepared properly for building on.

Since the sewer is on your side, it will affect the setbacks of the rear property so as BD above mentioned you will need to find these details. You may have to incase the sewer which costs money.

Also get the as-con drawings from council or dial before you dig to see where the sewer runs from the house to the connection point.

Arnel likes this.
  2. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Hi Osan,

1) Council can't approve a variation - only WAPC can. So build strata is out because Wanneroo will have delegated authority over the strata but no power to approve a variation.
    2) I can't see how a variation can be successfully applied, considering the criteria are;
    - retaining a heritage feature
    - maintaining a street-scape worth of retention
    - separate and sufficient frontage to more than one public street
    - odd shaped lot, or other feature, that would otherwise not be able to be developed
    - furthering the existing subdivision typology in the area.
    3) Sewers have easements - you can build inside that easement but must protect the minister's asset. See here > http://www.watercorporation.com.au/...building-near-our-services/designing-footings
    4) Use the "mywater login" on the water corp home page (top right), and then click on the dark orange button "search for a property" to find out exactly where the sewer is - which is see you have done. It doesn't look to be problematic - even if it were on the other lot you'd still need some piling. Odds are you won't be doing a boundary wall along there anyway.
    5) You can only come down to 3m "where necessary". People are being pinged on this right now. If you have 4m, you generally have to apply 4m. That said, I've seen stranger things....
    6) Send me the address and I'll whip up a quick sub plan for you - [email protected]

Last edited: 26th Jun, 2015
    Arnel and 380 like this.
  3. Arnel

Arnel Well-Known Member

@Aaron Sice & @HD_ACE

Great thank your for the information guys. I will get in touch with Watercorp & dial before you dig to confirm.

:)

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

You may want to consider running the driveway down the other side. The aerial shot is at an angle so it's hard to tell if there is enough space (measurements are taken from walls not eaves). The reason why I suggest that is because of the footpath on the other boundary - which may allow you to more easily build on boundary than neighbours will.

@Aaron Sice does the footpath in this instance add to the site area, or is that only for true Battle Axe not grouped dwellings?

Aaron Sice likes this.
  5. Aaron Sice

If that footpath is actually a PAW then you can have reduced setbacks to it (Figure 4f in the R Codes (p69))....

....in which case @Westminster 's idea is a cracker.

Running the driveway down the other side might also 'force' the driveway down to 3m, increasing available land and not requiring 5% - but I missed if you need this off your avg or one minimum.

sorry westie - yes it needs to be a dedicated battleaxe (ie a lot with a driveway leg that isn't common) to take advantage of Figure 1b; was able to do that for Mr Mrdja.

Last edited: 26th Jun, 2015
    Arnel likes this.
  6. Arnel

Arnel Well-Known Member

Hi everyone , just a quick update. :)

Special thanks to @Be Developer for advising me on some innovative buying techniques helping me secure this property for a low price :)

considering the above advice from @Westminster & @Aaron Sice
    And once again thank you to Aaron for drafting this plan up :)
    [​IMG]

I was at the site today seeing if the suggested min 3m wide common drive way would fit to run along the neighbors fence line rather then the alleyway. (in order to avoid any disputes later in regards to building on common boundaries);)

My findings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see because of the retaining wall i am short a few hundred millimeters, and also have a protruding drain pipe from the kitchen sink. The aircon will be removed and the hole will be sealed. I will relocate the gutters around the corner, and possibly connect the drainage for the sink else where.

Now if you actually measure from the fence line and not from where the retaining edge ends it just meets the min of 3m. Im not sure if this will pass or what they recommendations are for such scenarios? :confused:

Last edited: 28th Jun, 2015
  7. Arnel

Arnel Well-Known Member

Just to add, ideally i need to know where the best place for the drive way is so i can begin my plans for renovation and allocation space for courtyard and a carport.

many thanks

8. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

1st problem- the required measurement is to the Eaves not to the house wall.

Cheers.

Arnel likes this.
  9. Arnel

Arnel Well-Known Member

Oh okay thanks, but the rear fence line is from the wall?

10. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Who knows, the fence could be in the wrong spot.

11. Arnel

Arnel Well-Known Member

Sorry you misunderstood, I was commenting that the rear fence on the existing dwelling needs to be 1.5m from the wall in order to create two most lots behind it :)

12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I think it might only be 1.5m where there is a habitable room with a major opening. If there is no major opening then 1m setback should be sufficient.

13. Arnel

Arnel Well-Known Member

From the wall correct?

14. Perthguy

Yes, from the wall. I have to check this out for my plans this afternoon. The draftperson has written that a highlight window in my kitchen must be 1.5m from the boundary if it is clear or 1m from the boundary if obscured glass because of overlooking. That is not correct. It is because of boundary setbacks, not overlooking. The boundary setback is 1.5m or 1m depending on if the room is habitable and depending on whether there are major openings. I can't recall the definition of major opening though, so I'll have to look that up.

Arnel likes this.
  15. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Major opening is a window that is more than 1sqm - so a window more than 1m x 1m, 0.5m x 2m etc etc

Perthguy likes this.
  16. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Is the setback measured from the lot boundary to the outermost projection of the house? Does it exclude carports,stairs, ramps, eaves and window hoods?

17. Perthguy

Of course it is not as simple as I thought. It depends on the following: wall height, wall length and major openings. Essentially, if the wall is not more than 3.5m high, not more than 9m long and does not have a major opening, the setback is 1m. The same wall with a major opening would need 1.5m setback. The general rule is the higher the wall and the longer the wall, the greater the setback required. Setbacks can be found in table 2a and 2b of the Residential Design Codes, which should be read with the Appendix 1 - Definitions for: Major opening and Habitable room.

18. Perthguy

Yes, I was just reading that. As mine is greater than 1sqm, it will have to be glazed in an obscure material and not able to be opened.

Westminster likes this.
  19. Aaron Sice

Hi HD,

You can register an intrusion easement for eaves - council dependent, obviously.

Vincent - okay. Bayswater - hell no.

HD_ACE likes this.
  20. Aaron Sice

3m is from the boundary line, not the inside face of retaining, fences etc.

Risk is those elements being out of position at time of measurement.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia