Tolling of Bells for Affordability in Sydney and Melboune

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by sash, 22nd Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

This basically sounds like another plea to,

"Please tax people other than me personally more, so I can get what I want right now more affordably whilst still funding the lifestyle I believe I deserve".

I have zero care for people like her,
    A 5k gift from a Mother should be a Godsend to any recipient?
    Yet even despite that its only all about 'poor me'.

What I really is admire those in the same age group as her who think differently, act accordingly & take advantage of whatever situation they are presented with in a long term goal in mind.....rather than the generic whinge to tax someone more so they get something for less today or tomorrow.

Toon, Foxy Moron and WattleIdo like this.
  2. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Unless her Mum gifted her that 5k (most likely considering her attitude) and she bought the lounge etc with it as well.
    I just spent $440 on a reconditioned fridge and washing machine yesterday, delivered. Both chugging along just fine right now.
    Interesting to see the stats of singles in the market though - a larger proportion than I would've thought. They are the ones who have to really stress test their own affordability most rigorously. If they're now beginning to back out, perhaps this is a sign that the market will slow quite soon.
    And agree with others re: 'tax investors more!' movement which seems to be firing up.

Toon, D.T., House and 1 other person like this.
  3. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

Yep.. "I cant afford where I want to live...it's the investors fault" Off with their heads!! ;)

4. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

All the key ingredients are there to be a highly successful human rights lawyer.....easy on the eye, an entitlement mindset, and a healthy disrespect for free enterprise. Will probably get on Q&A or The Project next week as the star attraction ;)

Darren A, Lemmy a fiver and HUGH72 like this.
  5. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    If you are buying cheap, lower quality appliances perhaps.... but I agree she didnt need to spend $5000. 2.5K would have bought her the 3 items from good quality brands

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

What ever happened to second hand furniture - heaven forbid or the humble milk crate? As for new appliances what of Seconds World etc?

Where's the rest of her money going - she can't be getting just $24k nett per annum. Maybe she should get a real degree like political science or arts & work as a barista?

Dave3214, Darren A and bobbyj like this.
  7. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

That is what struck me & why she is belly aching about this.

Right goose if you ask me.

Ian87 likes this.
  8. dabbler

Or a better understanding of how media use people for own purposes, if story is accurate, she is a twit, if it has been twisted, she may have said none of this or not made a point of this & just been talking of how life is in gereral.

Do not allow the media to use you is my advice & I do think there is a concerted effort to change sentiment whether that is by direction or sub conscious.

WattleIdo and bobbyj like this.
  9. dabbler

On the box the other day, there were numerous runs of story on some research on samples of 25k of people where they found 1 in 5 will be under stress from .5% rise and failing at 1% rise in rates.

It was said the surprise was also that it was not all in the normal areas, and Central Coast and Norther Beaches was cited as some places where people are in this predicament.

It is amazing how from rate cuts in 15 and then in part of 16 some small rises and the media is all over it.

I want to see if there is any changes after recent rate changes and talk, I noticed for the first time near me a price reduction & again now there is stock on the internet, similar to the cough when APRA changes came in.

If they wanted to cool things, the banks just need to do a .25 now I reckon & say from now on, rates will rise no matter what RBA does (which is what we know is the truth short of some financial crisis)

10. bobbyj

bobbyj Well-Known Member

Really? Remember she is living as a single so she doesn't need a high volume capacity fridge with the bells and whistles.
    I live on my own and bought a great brand new Kelvinator fridge for $499 delivered at the start of last year

Mind you I waited for some killer sales and found some online deals to price match etc. I ain't walking away without knowing I got the best deal...
    A mindset I'm sure you're all familiar with.

11. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

I best be quiet. Just spent $4400 on Miele washing machine and hear pump dryer on the weekend.

12. dabbler

um...yep, I think if you have good things to do with your limited amount of money, you will always find ways to stretch it's use to best advantage.

tsk tsk.....who has been naughty :)

Cactus likes this.
  13. sash

sash Well-Known Member

You can afford it make...after all moolah from developments....;)

Cactus likes this.
  14. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Guilty as charged. But I have always had the attitude of buying the best you can afford when it comes to appliances and furniture. As a result my last washing machine lasted 12 years. It still works and I will get something for it on eBay but it's way to small for a family of five.

sanj likes this.
  15. dabbler

yeah, you have to do what suits, I was not serious.

But I do have to admit, all new appliances etc go into our tenants homes for them to use, our washer broke about 7 years ago, paid about 150 for a patch up and makes a horrific sound during the cycle, but it keeps on chugging along, more money diverted elsewhere :)

Eric Wu and Cactus like this.
  16. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Oh great. Where did you get it?

I need a new fridge freezer. Needs to be a medium size and with lots of vege storage space. Don't need water or ice but the higher the sta

17. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Please! Cry me a freakin river.

Place looks WELL furnished to me and you'll not see it featured in the pages of Struggle Street Monthly magazine.

Let's revisit this story in a years time when the shock of having to be "broke" from feathering the nest has faded and she's rented out that second bed and bath for $300pw.

$10 says she'll be patting herself on the back in no time and telling everyone how much she struggled "back in the day" to get on the property ladder, but is laughing now and looking to buy an IP. :D

CK_Invest likes this.
  18. bobbyj

bobbyj Well-Known Member

Appliances Online

19. bobbyj

bobbyj Well-Known Member

Near broke yet still managed to get those smashed avo's for brekkie?

20. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Possibly.

It can be tough going from a share house environment to being a home owner and having to buy your own, well, everything! First year is the hardest. Once you have your routine budget and are prepared for all the bills that come with home ownership that you don't get whilst renting like water, rates, home insurance, to name a few, things become much easier.

Fixed Rates for the first 3 years can help a lot too.

Ekin200 likes this.