Toilet water leak in rental property

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by ostrich98, 12th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ostrich98

ostrich98 Well-Known Member

it was toilet/sewer water (no doubt about that)
    Yeap bucket is under the light fixture.

I’d challenge anyone to live in a house with dripping toilet/sewer water in their dining area. Both of us work in the health industry and unfortunately we have seen and smell enough to know what UTI smells like

the plumber just told us not to use the toilet and he will come and change the whole toilet system next week

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It it sounds like it is soon to be resolved which is great.

3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

50% rental reduction for the inconvenience of being there for each re attendance and loss of usable amenity from when it all first started until all repairs completed , and negotiate back from there (or just lodge to break lease) can see either option going to VCAT, ring/email the agent every day to ask, squeaky wbeel style :D
    Or keep using it until the ceiling falls in :p

4. ostrich98

ostrich98 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, will have to pick your brain and ask for advice regarding the above issue again

so the plumber removed the whole toilet and also went into ceiling space to check the issue- we were told it was a Major building defect as the builder did not build the sewer pipe with a “gradient” hence the sewer water could not get out and started leaking through our ceiling. The builder also joined the pipes “illegally” so the plumber said this will be a major fix. We were not advised not to use the whole bathroom/shower/toilet upstairs until this could be rectified by the builder

we have indicated to the PM that we would like to break the lease and move (as we are not able to use toilet/shower upstairs as well as our dining area). The PM came back and told us that these are “unexpected repair” and they will get fixed by the builder. This does not form the ground for us to break the lease.

We are yet to hear from the PM when is the builder able to come and fix the issues. However I’d like to know my chances of breaking the lease if I applied through VCAT? I had also asked for rent reduction but I have not heard back from the PM

thanks

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Just apply to the QLD version of VCAT (QCAT?) and see what happens.

( NB - can’t see how you even could use the upstairs toilet since it’s been removed!)

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I call BS - could be MONTHS for this to be fixed (coz builder will probably deny and then it will become a insurance issue yadda yadda)

The Y-man

Angel likes this.
  7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

This! ^^