Toilet water leak in rental property

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by ostrich98, 12th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I've had more repairs on new houses than I have on old ones.

2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wouldn't sleep well at night with water from the toilet dropping into the loungeroom.

datto likes this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Well it may not even be the dunny - could just be shonky waterproofing in the shower.

The Y-man

wylie and Joynz like this.
  4. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

I have had two separate properties where water dripped thru ceiling light fitting onto floor below.

One was a 2 storey townhouse and the other an apartment on the 4th floor of a 6th floor apartment.

In both cases after removal of the section of the gyprock ceiling, the source of the leak was found to be inadequate caulking (silicon beadin) around the bath/shower edge which allows the shower water to leak thru.

I have also heard this is quite common in newer apartment buildings.

5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Imagine sleeping on he lounge with your mouth open lol.

6. ostrich98

ostrich98 Well-Known Member

Again thank you very much for everyone who responded. Yes we could smell the disinfectant in the water leak (the toilet was washed and flushed multiple times that morning)

Unfortunately both my husband and I are not handy - you do not want to know how much we paid for a handyman to change a toilet seat; also to assemble our Ikea day bed. We are also time poor.

Agreed that new does not equal to less problem. We have IPs that were built during war-times or post-war times we have been really lucky with them (count the blessings!)

It reminds us how important it is to have a reliable and quality builder - so if you know anyone in SE Melbourne please send them my way. We are planning to build.

7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Thankyou for that mental image. Ewwww!

datto likes this.
  8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Prevents a dry mouth. I probably could market the idea.

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

You certainly could. Not sure you'd have too many takers though.

datto likes this.
  10. ostrich98

Hi guys, just an update about this case. After failing to get the landlord/PM to agree that this is an “urgent repair” and having to wait for 10 days for a plumber to even come and check it out, we decided to ask for compensation. And the response from the PM was:

“I will await for the plumber report to see the cause of this matter. If this was cause by defect of work then I will leave this to the plumber’s responsibility, otherwise I will discuss with the landlord about this.”

We were asking for compensation as we no longer able to eat/enjoy the dining area due to unpleasant odour and have been applying disinfectant to clean our floor/dining chairs and table every day.

I’m not sure why we have to deal with the plumber as this is not our property and we did not pay for the plumber.

Any advice/comment on this?

Thanks

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You are talking about SE Melbourne so just call consumer.vic tomorrow for advice.

It’s really up to you now to move things forward.

12. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback
    So the plumber attended ?
    We are assuming you were home, to allow access, did you make them a coffee and ask "why is it leaking" or "what oher repairs are required" ?
    Is it actually FIXED now ?
    Pointless going for compensation if it is ongoing....
    What form of compensation are you asking for, 50% rent reduction due to loss of toilet and other rooms for the period impacted (then negotiate back) ?

willair likes this.
  13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe if you just asked the plumber what was the problem at least that way you know ..is the problem fixed.good luck.

14. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

Some people pay good money for that in Bangkok. :eek:

Sounds like a poorly built home, maybe better off looking down the avenue of leaving.

datto likes this.
  15. ostrich98

The plumber attended and inspected the toilet - nothing visible he could see from the toilet. He took down the light fixture and took a peek and said it could be the sewer pipe leaking or the waterproof layer no longer working etc. However he will have to cut out part of the ceiling and have a proper look and will need authority from the landlord (which means coming back another day)

we were happy to leave but was told this does not make the house inhabitable and we are welcome to raise this with VCAT. Also the agent said to us that if the leak from this incident proven to be a “work defect” from the plumber we will have to chase this from the plumber.

I am not sure how much compensation to ask for. It feels like I’m dealing with the lowest of the low

Stoffo likes this.
  16. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

As already advised, please contact consumer.vic.

They can advise about VCAT, whether something is an urgent repair etc - and there is also a new (free) mediation service.

Stoffo, wylie and The Y-man like this.
  17. The Y-man

Did the plumber indicate if this was a serious health risk? Black water leaks are almost always a health hazard
    Urgent repairs - overview

See @Joynz post above:
    Applying to VCAT for a repair order

The Y-man

18. The Y-man

The main compensation to be looking for is a break lease.

The Y-man

Antoni0 likes this.
  19. ostrich98

thanks. I contacted consumer Vic who said that this is not considered as an “urgent repair” as the landlord provided us with an alternative which is literally the second toilet we have in the house. They advised that we could however consider claiming for compensation as we are not able to fully utilise the area as intended.

tbh I feel good and honest tenants like us are not protected and being exploited. I’m giving up and I just hope that I will find a better place when this lease expires.

this world is a horrible place. I have a few IP too and just have to remind myself “don’t be a landlord like them” - I now understand why the previous tenant didn’t stay

can’t wait to build my own place and I just hope I will have better experience with building

Angel likes this.
  20. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I tend to agree that’s its not urgent - but what did they say about the dripping water you thought was ‘toilet water’?

By the way, have you turned off the tap to the toilet and emptied the cistern - or at least put a bucket under the drip?