To stage or not

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by crackles01, 11th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. crackles01

crackles01 Active Member

Happy to read some thread on staging here, but can i pick your smart brains a bit for my case pls?

I got a PPOR early this year, that I'm hoping to get a valuation sometime in the next few months then rent out possibly end of next year. The house is a 4-BR with 2 lounge areas. The paint looked horrible at purchase, and I've since done some very minor renovation (mainly paint and flooring). So I'm thinking of 'staging' it, then have new photos taken. I'm still torn between getting some reasonable quotes but I'm not selling so probably DIY to save cost. I plan to then move into a smaller place, so I won't be able to keep all furniture.

With this in mind, do you think staging the property would help with either the valuation or rent? Thanks.

2. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

3. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

I doubt staging would be worth the expense for the purpose of renting it out.

If you really want to stand out from the crowd with regards to rental listings just include half a dozen clear photos, an accurate description of the property, and a floor plan.

Tenants are less concerned with the aesthetic appeal of a property than a purchaser spending six or seven figures.

I wouldn't have thought a professional valuer would be influenced by shiny furniture either.

Lizzie likes this.
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I don't think I'd bother with traditional staging, however I would totally declutter it whilst you're living in it and then get professional photos taken with your furniture in it before you move out and use those for rental adverts.
    They will be better then a property manager with an iphone in an empty house photos.

Lizzie, craigc and Sackie like this.
  5. crackles01

crackles01 Active Member

Yes thank you, I've already read that and a few others. Just don't have anyone to bounce ideas with for my specific situation.

Thanks, I think this is what I needed to hear! Guess I also just want to get the best look while it's still freshly renovated, but that's probably something I can do down the line if I sell in the future.

6. crackles01

crackles01 Active Member

Thanks for this suggestion, I will definitely do this. Thing is I occupy only half of the rooms, so the other rooms and the main lounge are sitting bare.:) I might look at minimally filling them in time for rental ads (and not rush anything for the valuation as it shouldn't affect it).

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We had our places (newly built) photographed by Ciprian and he added virtual furniture for our rental adverts going forward.

We did consider staging, but this was super cheap compared to paying for staging just to get rental advert photos. He did a great job.

He charged a base rate to take a certain number of photos, and then I chose the ones that I wanted virtual furniture added to.

If you call or email him he will send you a price list. I could look for mine, but it would probably take me longer than if you go directly to him.

Image 11-12-21 at 11.42 am.jpg

geoffw, bamp and Sackie like this.
  8. crackles01

crackles01 Active Member

Thanks @wylie. Will definitely give him a call.

wylie likes this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Don't bother to stage for a valuation. Most of the time they don't even visit the property but rather look at recent sales in the area for similar priorities or ... if they do vist ... they usually just measure room sizes, check the condition is okay and confirm they exist

10. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

People are making decisions on photographs, so I would do virtuL staging. Blind leading the blind.

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

You are not selling????

I would only stage if I were selling