To sell or rent out PPOR

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Smulc, 5th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Smulc

Smulc New Member

hi folks. My situation is that I have a large home which I want to move out of in order to downsize and retire in 5-7 years. It has been valued at 650-680000. I want to buy in the same area a smaller home around the 500000 price bracket. I only owe 70000 on my house.
    Then I would like to purchase an investment property in another town which I would like to eventually retire to, can buy for 300,000. I would then want to keep the smaller house as my son will be living in it. My question is should I sell my house to finance the new houses or rent it out and use the rental income to help pay the new loan? My income is only about 70000 a year before tax. Thanks

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

How long have you owned your PPOR?

If pre 1985 it should always be cgt free (barring title owner changes) a factor to consider as you can then buy another PPOR and retain two cgt free properties.
    Marg

pommy likes this.
  3. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Only issue I've ever had renting out a PPOR was one that we as a family had put allot of love in, special memories with kids when young, great lawns and gardens, sentimental etc, etc, only to see it run down, not cared for similarly 12mths later, was disappointing/frustrating.

If that kind of thing doesn't bother you and everything else stacks up...

4. Smulc

Smulc New Member

Hi thanks for responding.
    I have only been in the house for 12 years.

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Can u afford both?

6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

If uou can afford both
    And downsizing now, to only let your son live in it......
    Is it possible to use your equity to buy now in his name ?
    Thus saving on stamp and transfer duties late ???
    This would mean you could claim the 6 year absent rule on current ppor, and sell to buy the country house when it suits you.

7. Smulc

Smulc New Member

Yes I believe so as I have no other debt and my partner will be moving in with me which would bring in another 4000.00 income per month.
    I am also looking at maybe purchasing a house which I love that got passed in yesterday at auction. But I haven't got finance in place yet. Could I get a bridging loan and then sell current house?
    Current house I was quoted worth 650-680,000
    Loan remaining is 70,000
    House I would like to buy passed in at 520,000.
    I have 20,000 cash
    Thanks so much

8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

If u can afford both do you think the old house will grow in value more than the interest you will have to pay on the loan. For the new house?

9. Smulc

Smulc New Member

No I don't think it would. That's why I'm thinking now I would have to sell. What amount do you think the banks would lend me to buy the new place or should I just give up and find something cheaper

Terry_w likes this.
  10. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I think you should be able to buy the other two with that income plus 2 new rental incomes.

Pick a broker and get them to start doing checks.

You probably do not need to sell anything.

11. Robert Rich

Robert Rich Member

If you're retiring in 5-7 yrs, double check you can get the finance.. The banks tighten up as you get older.
    And to your question on holding or selling - I would say if you can sleep at night holding both, then go for it (maximising debt position on the rental prop of course).
    95% of the time it's going to be in your best interest to hold on instead of selling and keep building up that retirement nest egg.. not long to go now! #jealous