To repaint driveway or remove old paint??

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by beachside, 11th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. beachside

beachside Member

I have read several posts on repainting driveways using various types of paints and sealers. The old Berger Jet Dry gets an absolute flogging on review sites, water or oil based, with White Knight not much better. It would seem that the oil based is better than water based but still far from recommended. Sealer (tinted) has been recommended more than a few times over the years so there must be some confidence in this option.

But all products give plenty of caution on cleaning and testing for adhesion before application (too bad if you have juts spent $70+ on paint that wont stick, cant return!) The concrete must be allowed to dry for days before painting, with 5 days to week or more before driving on. This leaves you at the mercy of the weather if only at the interstate IP for 5-7 days between tenants, and potentially unable to do.

My scenario - driveway strips with a full concrete area just outside garage door, with a path as well - about 20m2 all up. Previously painted in red, and yellow prior to that. The paint on all but the area outside the garage door has lasted reasonably (must be over 10 years, before I bought) but is now well worn, the concrete outside garage door is smoother, cops more wear and half is worn off, as is some of the original yellow. This area will always be vulnerable to wear as smoother than the other concrete areas (but probably the easiest to strip the paint from).

Issues - don't know what type of paint was used originally, unlikely a sealer. Want something that will last (at least 5 years without needing patching up), does not cost a small fortune in many products in preparation plus the paint. More than $100 is starting to overcapitalize for no return other than a small improvement is street and tenant appeal, in an area where houses are valued at about $300k.

To repaint, or remove old paint and leave bare concrete? What is involved in removing old paint? This might be a safer bet if no more work involved!

If to repaint, paving paint or tinted sealer, water or oil based? Keep in mind cost, prep time and drying time ...and weather.

What is the recommendation - materials, process.

thanks

2. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

I reckon a good pressure washer should remove the old paint, given you can get under it. I have recently painted a front patio, and between listing for rent and getting a tenant, it was already peeling! :mad: Can't remember the paint, but think it was Berger. Perhaps I should have etched it, but I didn't have time to wash it down again and wait for it to dry. Bare concrete, as long as there are no stones showing through, looks OK, IMO. I wouldn't have bothered with my painting if I'd known how quickly it would flake.

3. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Agree with the idea of pressure hose. Even a garden hose on jet can really get under and lift up the paint.
    I wouldn't bother repainting under the circumstances unless you're going to do it properly. Then you'd spend the money and buy epoxy.
    I just bought a $15 white knight cheapie to do the front steps and concrete trim. Fingers crossed. Seems the car does the most damage.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Hire a Gerni from Kennards, blast the paint off them. Then roll on a slip resistant paving paint or epoxy.

5. beachside

beachside Member

The driveway and path are a reasonable timber floated finish, plenty of texture, unlike the area outside garage door which is smoother. I suspect the smoother concrete would be easiest to get under, the more textured concrete might might not give up so easy - but then again as it is within "the pores" of the concrete and not directly walked on who knows!

I suspect removal is better than repainting, removing the need to repaint later unless I am more certain of the outcome and not so pressed for time or weather. Do you think a garden hose with a brass pressure jet would be sufficient (I have one), a low powered Gerni like the cheapies in Bunnings, or a serious blaster with a wider wand and higher pressure like you would get from a decent hire shop? I doubt if garden hose would do it, and I only have 12mm? water pipe from meter.

Would some sort of paint remover or acid assist in removal?