To renovate bathrooms or not

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by ATANG, 20th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Hello all, got a three bedder apartment. Everything is renovated except the two bathrooms. It comes in original condition about 30 years old, still usable and i guess if i grout it and make it clean, could still look fine in photos. But then, was thinking if it's wiser to renovate both prior putting out to the market?

Without the reno, i would guess it can get 1-1.1 on the safe bet, but with new bathrooms do you think it will push it much further? Also, if to renovate, should i go premium (i.e. reece) or just use some cheap or standard neutral fittings (i.e. from bunnings)? I had a look and premium path seems can cost up to 50k for two rooms.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We did our downstairs bathroom for $11k and that included gutting the old, resheeting walls and ceiling, waterproofing, fit off, loo, fittings. We used an "off the shelf" vanity with stone top and single walk around glass panel for the shower.

If you can do two new bathrooms for say $25k total, why not ask a couple of local real estate agents if that would bring more than $25k back to you in higher sale price?

PS. Without knowing suburb, even locals might not be able to help you. But local agents should know whether it is worth doing. If everything else is updated, I would think any buyer would discount heavily having to tackle two bathrooms. I'd lean towards doing it, but your local agents will be the ones who know.

3. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Thanks Wylie. Yeah, i dont know how you guys could get such good deal.... So far three quotes i have received all are close to $20k per bathroom. Some hasn't even included fittings.

I stopped asking agents any questions as i found they would say anything just to get your business. As in, they will just say whatever neutral which doesn't help me in making decision and just to get you to let them sell. So i end up just following the market myself. Location is in inner city area of melbourne.

Jasmine likes this.
  4. wylie

Our downstairs bathroom is fairly small and I kept it simple. We used a trusted builder (who had done major renovations for us recently) and he did it all, subcontracting out electrics, plumbing etc.

Our upstairs bathroom cost us about $21k but we have a stone bath, a glass sliding door screen, underfloor heating, in-wall toilet cistern, so we chose higher end fittings (about five years ago).

At that time, we got in a bathroom guy who quoted us $31k :eek: and his vanity, toilet, shower screen and bath were very ordinary, much lower spec than the ones we ended up choosing (and we saved $10k). He would have been making a real killing had we booked him.

It comes down to having a trusted builder who won't just gouge you. Perhaps keep looking for recommendations from others who could send such a builder your way?

5. Jasmine

Jasmine Well-Known Member

I've renovated quite a few bathrooms over the years, and $20k+ is normal. I'm also not sure how people achieve completing one at ~$10k. Just note that certain designs can save cost as in the above post where only a single glass shower panel was used, and a non-custom vanity with fake stone top, and Bunnings quality tapware.

Beano and housechopper2 like this.
  6. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

Just regrout and have them resprayed white (wall tiles and bath). Bathroom renovations are expensive and time consuming. Easier to leave them as a project for the next owner.

Beano likes this.
  7. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Compare other sold homes in your area completely renovated vs Unrenovated.
    Im sure you will see a price difference. You really do need to have everything updated to match the rest of the house to get top dollar and also sell faster.

Agents don’t really care if you get top dollar or not as they get similar pay even if they achieve a slightly less price. But you will need to see if spending the extra cash is worth it.

Maybe post a couple photos up so we can see and judge if it’s really that bad, perhaps a simple tile over can do the trick and it’s pretty cheap to do. Maybe a partial reno will also work, new shower base and screen with tiles, much cheaper than a full reno.

8. Jasmine

Jasmine Well-Known Member

I really wish people would stop this dodgy practice.

Optimus likes this.
  9. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

What’s dodgy about tiling over tiles?

10. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

I think most will say it’s actually fine lol. I guess I could just leave it as it is and just keep it clean. I just thought because it is an unique character apartment, might be worth updating the bathrooms to get top $, which is the only piece that is original condition.

The thing with similar sales is, it’s really hard to tell. With these unique properties, it really depends on whether you have someone who clicks with the property. I have seen similar ones doing exceptionally well with a mix of original conditions and renovated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 20th Jan, 2020
    Barny likes this.
  11. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

You could go either way, full or partial reno. New vanity, new toilet maybe, tile over existing wall tiles and bath, put a frameless shower in and keep the base. Should be enough to look great and wouldn't cost that much either.

12. wylie

I'd leave that as it is. I quite like it. But I'd hide the white plastic basin waste pipe with some shallow shelving or a panel or swap it for chrome.

And replace the toilet with a back to wall option.

Maybe new taps, but it is hard to see what they are like in that photo.

TMNT and housechopper2 like this.