To place IP in SMSF or not to.....

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Keentolearn77, 1st Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Keentolearn77

Keentolearn77 Well-Known Member

Hi
    This may not be an easy answer, & I know everyone's circumstances are different, but has anyone generally crunched the numbers & found an increased benefit (tax minimisation, revenue, growth etc etc) of placing an IP that has been in their own names for some time, and subsequently placing the IP into a SMSF...
    I am looking deeper, but if there are any good links regarding the Pro's & Cons of this, then much welcomed.....

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Unless it is business real property it would not be possible to transfer to a related SMSF.

3. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

Con - cannot purchase residential property off a related party, unless it meets the definition of business real property. If you could everyone would, unfortunately you cannot. Everyone asks this question.

Cheers Ivan

JohnPropChat and Paul@PAS like this.
  4. Keentolearn77

Keentolearn77 Well-Known Member

Thankyou gentleman

5. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

As replied can only do under commercial terms.
    BUT some reasons for having IPs in SMSF is for protection (against say bankruptcy), lower earnings tax (15% in accumulation), lower CGT (around 10%), currently after 60 years old if below $1.6M and in pension phase all income generated is taxed free.
    Just check out the advantages in general about investing in SMSF as opposed outside that entity.
    Also does depend on your age and consideration for the long term.

Stoffo and JohnPropChat like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Check out the disadvantages too:
    • Lack of liquidity (ie may need to sell the property to receive the 'cash' so that you can make the compulsory withdrawals in pension mode)

7. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Yes many do lack liquidity, if most allocated in property only. I wonder what the % of members are in that situation too?
    Also locked in for long time if young investor. Rules and regulations can always change yet money is locked in for the long term.
    I am heavily in IPs too but have nearly paid of all and sitting that cash in offsets instead of loans. I thought I could utilize that cash as liquidity, although we are still in pension phase at this stage? Other option would be to keep selling one say every few years and either keeping in cash or converting some of that equity into shares.
    The wonderful thing is having choices and big enough portfolio to be able to do that.
    Diversity from dividends from private IPOs also helps.
    But it all comes down to individual circumstances in each case.

JohnPropChat likes this.
  8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

But the basic issue is that its prohibited despite advantages and disadvantages.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  9. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Even if you bought a property in your SMSF, any negative gearing would presumably be ineffective?

11. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

Negatively geared at the SMSF's rate against SMSF's income, which is usually 15% or 30% (Div 293)

12. Paul@PAS

Not necessarily but true.. The separate thread on this issue exists :

Tax Tip 225: SMSFs and Negative Gearing

Terry_w likes this.
  13. Paul@PAS

No. Div 293 applies to the MEMBER. That wont be changed. However the rate on a fund earning is between 0% and 15% as a maximum eg CGT gains at 10% etc. The post above this one has a thread on a strategy that can incorporate neg gearing at a members marginal tax rate !!

JohnPropChat likes this.
  14. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

In a single member fund, when the loss is attributed to the member, this would be after 15% negative gearing is it? Though Div 293 applies.

15. Paul@PAS

Div 293 is based on member contributions and issued to the member who can choose release of funds. Further depleting fund assets.

The fund taxable income will be calculated after offsetting the rental loss. A 15% tax saving at best. If the neg gearing creates a loss it wont impact tax in any way and may c/forward. Perhaps accumulating losses unless a new source of income or new contribution stream occurs. A further depletion of cashflow and assets.

If the fund is approaching pensions its even worse. The fund may be obliged to pay a member a minimum 4% pension and if cashflow is negative the assets may deplete faster

Last edited: 2nd Aug, 2019
    JohnPropChat likes this.
  16. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Interesting.
    I have been considering my options also.
    I am self employed, earning an average wage (under 90k) and my super fund balance is dismal (under 200k), yet I would like to further expand my investment options.....
    I have a commercial that is worth considerably more than I as an individual paid for it and is CF+.
    What to do ?
    I could sell the CIP to a newly formed SMSF, thus freeing up a chunk of the monies in super to me to invest/spend (likely determined to be income unless re invested)
    I could sell it to my company and let it tick over until I retire, then start to draw down on what is in the offset and later reverse mortgage as a pension ?

Other thoughts ? TIA

17. Terry_w

You could sell to a SMSF but there may be CGT to pay now, could be stamp duty exemption, and could be a good strategy overall. It might be part of a debt recycling strategy too.

You could also sell to a company, but you would not want to put your cash in a company's bank account as you might be taxed when you put it out.

18. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

True @Terry_w , I was of the understanding that when you wind up/close operations of a company and have no intention to ever work again that you can transfer a large asset amount into superannuation?

19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

20. Terry_w

Or you might lend the company money so it can later repay you.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia