To paint or not to paint - outdoor wooden stairs

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by giraffez, 13th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

I have a set of wooden stairs in the yard. Am I better to apply a coat or two of paint on it or leave it raw timber? It's been raw for many years now but I have a can of exterior paint left from recent renovations.

Will painting the stairs allow it to last longer and will it be slippery if painted?
    Thanks

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Paint protects timer, it is not just for pretty or trendy colouring.

Some timer is harder weathering than other, but paint, if the right type and treated properly, cannot hurt.

3. giraffez

Thanks

I'm using wattyl solar guard for external. Once painted, would the steps become slippery?

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

When you say "in the yard" do you mean to get from the yard into the house, or literally are they in the yard, meaning maybe from one level of the yard to a higher level?

5. giraffez

The latter. Does it make a difference?

Also another question, the timber edges are quite rough, not smooth, almost like someone cut to size and didn't finish the job. If i wanted it to be smooth, do i need a sander to do it or is it not possible?

6. wylie

If it is the latter, then I'd think it might depend on how many steps and the style of the garden. I'm picturing a natural style garden with rough timber steps to a different level.

If that is the case, I think they would look odd if they are painted.

But the picture in my head might be nothing like what you have.

Regardless, unpainted timber in a garden might have to be replaced in ten years, but unless we are talking a lot of steps, would it matter? I think a garden with painted steps might look a bit odd. Maybe a photo would help?

7. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

If you sand smooth and apply paint, that may make it slippery, timber can be slippery when wet anyway, can't see paint making it worse if the timber is not polished.

8. wylie

If you do paint them, sprinkle sand on the wet paint to give some grip. There might be a product that does the same thing but I've heard sand can be used.

giraffez likes this.
  9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

There is non slip paint e.g. Berger jet dry. Or add the non slip strips designed to be stuck along stair treads. Available at Bunnings and other hardware places.

giraffez and dabbler like this.