To meet BASIX - bottle gas or solar?

Discussion in 'Development' started by scientist, 23rd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

I'm in the process of building a granny flat and the designer that's managing the CDC process said in order to meet BASIX I either need to have bottle LPG gas or solar (the property can't get mains gas).

Both options sound crap to be honest (if I was living in there myself I would want neither). One more thing to break.

Which is the less painful one to deal with as an IP owner? Thanks!

2. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

I'm not sure why u think solar would be an inconvenience? That would certainly be my choice. Bottled gas would be terrible

3. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

for solar I'm just worried that it's one more thing to break. If it's broken then fair enough I don't want to repair it, but the tenant might have the ability to force me to repair it (?). Also its ugly and also it blocks a large section of my roof - if I need to run some cabling that requires lifting some tiles, I can't do it where the solar panels are.

4. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

You're worrying too much and besides it sounds like you have no choice.

If you only have 2 options and 1 is a terrible option I guess the decision is an easy one

Is there nothing else that can be done to improve energy efficiency more simply? Insulation, maybe some low e glass, orientation would probably be hard at this stage as it sounds like your design is nearly done

5. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I just did one with bottled gas. Cheap and effective. If there is no mains gas in the area a lot of people are probably already using bottles. Talk to your PM.

The other option is electric heat pump but those things are expensive and prone to breaking every few years.

Sackie likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yep I agree.