To Garage or not to Garage?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by TroySeven, 17th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TroySeven

TroySeven Well-Known Member

Hi PC Members,

I've recently been in planning and discussion with various GF builders, and a major part of the build still lays undecided - the garage.

The property is located on a quiet crescent with plenty of street parking, however we are removing a large double car garage to make space for the GF.

Should I invest the extra cash to allow at least 1 secured garage/storage for the main dwelling?
    Both will be rented out.

Suburb: Campbelltown

Below is a picture of the quick survey of site. (left is the GF sketch, right is my paint skills to demonstrate my thoughts on garage location)[​IMG]

2. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Wouldnt you put the garage on the right side, so it is a straight drive through?

3. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I thought the outline looked familiar. That's my design. LOL
    No idea why they called it The Belmont though.

TroySeven likes this.
  4. TroySeven

I considered the left hand side as that's the side the main dwelling is positioned.

5. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Its always good to have extra storage, but you need to consider the impact it has on the design. If it means the rooms get shrunk and more dead space is created, then i would prefer not to have the granny flat.

Not all granny flat designs can have garages "bolted on". When you have 60sqm max to play with, you really need to optimise the design, otherwise there may be too much dead space or rooms that just too small to be considered proper rooms.

For example, ive seen designs where the rooms are 3m x 2.8m (exc wardrobe). Once the wardrobe goes in, the usable space is actually 3m x 2.2m or 2.4m x 2.8m.

Can you post floor plans ? Is this the Belmont?

Attached Files:

6. TroySeven

Great thoughts, correct thats the Belmont design.

7. neK

neK Well-Known Member

That's the design me and serge (granny flat approvals) created.

In the end I went with granny flats Australia to build.

So is that who you are building with?

8. neK

neK Well-Known Member

The way you added on the garage won't work with the Belmont design. It was optimized to take advantage of its surroundings (i.e. An existing garage and carport and distance from existing house).

This design can be altered a little so that you can have a garage at front and large undercover area at the back, but it would stick out by the entire length of the garage.