Title registration prior construction

Discussion in 'Development' started by Fabs90, 2nd May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Fabs90

Fabs90 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Council issued a permit to subdivide the land for 3 detached townhouses with common driveway in Croydon VIC
    I would like to proceed with the subdivision prior construction and register the separate titles.
    Do I need to build common driveway and common services before the surveyor prepares the land subdivision drawings?
    Thanks

2. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Have you received the subdivision certificate, or has just the DA been passed?

What does your townplanner say?

If the plans are approved as part of the DA and need to be built prior to the subdivision being certified then yes you will have to build.

If the subdivision is straight Torrens title (green land seperate services boundaries etc) then I would think you would need the land to be registered first.

Being that its Victoria, its a little out of my wheelhouse.

@Westminster or @Tufan Chakir might have a better idea.

bmc likes this.
  3. Fabs90

Fabs90 Well-Known Member

Just DA, town planning permit to subdivide the land into 3 lots and build

4. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

@Fabs90

@lixas4 is a Vic Surveyor. I'm sure he will be you best source.

or why not contact your Surveyor you have engaged?

In NSW and in most cases, you cannot obtain a subdivision certificate (from council) unless all conditions of the DA have been met, therefore the Surveyor will not be able to lodge the plan - then approved, and new titles issued.
    unless of course the DA states otherwise.

lixas4 and Archaon like this.
  5. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

It should be ok to subdivide prior to build, but it cant always be assumed. Talk to your surveyor and let them know your intention. They will review the subdivision permit to see if it has been allowed for there (its normally one of the first couple of conditions), if it isn't stated there, they can discuss with council and discuss what works will be required. You will probably be required to install all the services and driveway, but in some circumstances these can be postponed to when the build occurs.

6. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Is there something about a works bond or something where you put aside the money so council know it's covered?

lixas4 likes this.