Tips for saving on construction?

Discussion in 'Development' started by albanga, 3rd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BazWami

BazWami Member

Have completed landscaping, fencing also internal painting & aircon (builder approval obtained). Insurance is an issue and you may need to sign a waiver for any shonky work during install or future probs. I would possibly consider sourcing tiling, carpets for next build.

2. Jessproperty

Jessproperty Well-Known Member

Based on the other comments, we have been very lucky with our builder.
    This is our 5th build with him so I think he is just being nice by allowing us to supply practically everything in terms of finishes, vanities, kitchens, tap ware bathtub, all bathroom fixtures, flooring, outdoor tiling, driveways, window coverings, ducted Aircon...even the door handles because we don't like the ones he wanted to supply.

We never leave any supplies on site until the day of install because be don't want to lose anything. This is my job so I can be onsite within 20mins any day of the week. It would be different if I were working full time. Obviously for the first couple of renos we did years ago we allowed the builder to supply everything without thinking of costs. Once you know what's going on and have the time to be onsite, you want to supply your items.

The builder might not be making a killing on this but he knows that we have Atleast 3 more projects coming up so it's worth it for him.

We are also fair in that sometimes it's just easier to get them to supply some items and are happy to pay a variation and let them profit aswell throughout the build for minor things.

We also get insurance to cover our side of things because you never know what may happen.

3. hematite

hematite Well-Known Member

Builders generally are happy to exclude painting/flooring/landscaping/AC. They are not happy when you try to exclude more and more things, as they lose their margin.

Things like kitchens and bathrooms are very difficult to take out as tiling to wet areas is a requirement.