Tips for repair quotes

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by youfoundtheplot, 18th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. youfoundtheplot

youfoundtheplot Active Member

Hi All,

This is my first time engaging the services of a handyman.

Can you please advise me on any tips when receiving quotes for repairs on a rental property?

2. Martin73

Martin73 Well-Known Member

1. Have a clear idea what you are trying to do and make sure you issue instructions in writing. Check to make sure your chosen tradie and you have a common understanding of what you are trying to achieve.
    2. Work out whether you are going to project manage the work yourself or do you need to engage a project manager.
    3. Be prepared for tenants to be 'challenging' in making themselves available or to provide access to the property. There are some great tenants, and some great PMs but just be prepared that everything takes much longer than dealing direct with a tradie for your own PPOR.
    4. Accept good advice and don't be obstinate.
    5. Use hipages.com.au or similar to get genuine people interested in doing your work.
    6. Understand the differences between claiming repairs and capital improvements

youfoundtheplot likes this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Get recommendations regarding reliability. You don't want someone who will stuff your tenants around. Turning up on time and completing the job without delay is worth paying a bit more for.

If you have a PM, let them handle minor repairs.
    Marg

4. youfoundtheplot

youfoundtheplot Active Member

Very surprised at the different amounts by asking different people for quotes

5. Chivaun.Shortis

Chivaun.Shortis Well-Known Member

Best thing to do is to stalk them on the internet see what their reviews are like, check out their website. Even give them a call and see who you feel most comfortable with.

youfoundtheplot likes this.
  6. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I do find some reviews are made up ones. I've had a tradie who had an excellent reviews and presented well in person who ended up the worse one of the lot.

7. Chivaun.Shortis

Chivaun.Shortis Well-Known Member

This is true. Check out the website get their ABN see if everything checks out. Make sure they are insured.