Tips for finding planning info

Discussion in 'Development' started by timetoact, 22nd Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. timetoact

    timetoact Well-Known Member

    22nd Jun, 2015
    I am starting the long journey down the path of property developing and am currently in the research stage.

    One thing that I find universally difficult is finding information on minimum land size, FSR, zoning etc.
    It takes me forever to find this info every time I start looking in a new council area.

    Right now I am looking for info on the Elizabeth area in SA but have had the same trouble in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane.

    I am sure I am being a bit slow and that once you know, it is very easy. So if you have any tips for where and how to find this info I would be forever grateful.

    (hoping I am not the first to find this difficult...)
  2. Paul@PFI

    [email protected] Tax Accounting + SMSF Business Member

    18th Jun, 2015
    Be Developer is worth a chat for Melb and Sydney
  3. 3354

    3354 Active Member

    17th Oct, 2015
    In Victoria check for zoning, schedules to the zone and overlays. You need to stay away from sewers- a driveway can be built on a sewer. Go through the Planning scheme and in particular the clauses referring to neighbourhood character.

    There are a myriad of things to consider when finding a suitable dual occupancy development site suitable for subdivision.

    Some items to look out for.
    • There should be a 3m wide driveway access to the rear yard if that is where the dual occupancy home is to be sited or check to see if two crossovers are allowed by your local Council

    • The site length and area should allow adequate north facing open space for recreation and landscaping

    • The site should be close to infrastructure, schools, shops and transport

    • The title should be clear of restrictions and preferably without any easements

    • All the essential services should be available onsite or in close proximity and run in the most advantageous position

    • The site orientation should be perfect so that the amenities of neighbouring properties are not adversely affected

    • The zoning of your land and it’s associated Schedule should not be overly restrictive

    • The planning overlays on your land should not be too restrictive

    • The site should be fairly level

    • There should be little or no significant vegetation on the site and on abutting sites within say 5 m of the common boundaries

    • A soil test should demonstrate the foundations will not require additional strengthening

    • There should be no encroachments on your title boundary or by your property on adjoining allotments

    • There should preferably be precedence for similar development in your neighbourhood especially if you are trying to get more than two new homes on the land

    • There should be no planning overlays burden

    • Your local Council should encourage development to meet their housing stock forecast
    Dangsta likes this.
  4. Dangsta

    Dangsta Member

    23rd Jul, 2015
    Sydney, Toowoomba
    Another easier way is to go specifically to the council and see a planner. He/she can tell you exactly what your site can do instead of having to look at it yourself. Should be a free service (well at my council it is). They can also guide you where you can find all the information in the planning scheme and give you an estimate of the fees and charges involved. Worth a visit.
    Terry_w likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

    Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

    18th Jun, 2015
    Sydney or NSW or Australia
    Look at the council website in nsw. Most dave a development tab and links to LEP,DCP etc.

    You will need to pay for s149 Certificate but planning maps ate downloadable