Tips for finding a good buyers agent

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by SteffS, 3rd Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. SteffS

SteffS Well-Known Member

Thinking of a IP outside Sydney ( esp in Melbourne or somewhere in QLD) through a buyer's agent. So would like to know your thoughts on:

1) how to find the right BA?
    what things to ask them when finalizing a BA?
    2) do you have any specific recommendations for a BA for those state/areas?
    3) how much do they charge fees?
    Is it some % of purchase? Any estimated fees range?

TIA

2. alanyin

alanyin Well-Known Member

1) Make sure their strategy align with yours. Ask as many questions as you can and that's the only way to find out if you can work well together. It's kinda like picking your business partner. If you're starting from scratch, you can start with a REBAA member in that area or someone with a good review (check both Google, Facebook and this forum).
    2) It depends on where you are looking. I know a few in the areas you mentioned.
    3) Usually around $10,000 - 15,000. Make sure you go with someone that charge you a flat fee (it can be tiered though). Don't go with those that take a percentage the purchase price.

craigc and SteffS like this.
  3. heartsproperty

heartsproperty Well-Known Member

It’s great advice that you should find an agency to partner with. You need to trust them to find the right deal, not just the first one they can talk you into signing.

Most agents publish their buys on social media, so I would recommend finding one that has bought multiple properties at a price you wish you could have at the time.

I disagree about the fee advice though. Most of the good buyers that get results that I have dealt with, charge 1-5k upfront and then 2-3% of the purchase, usually crediting the establishment charge.

Back in the day I never saw the value of a BA but have since dealt with some exceptional ones and in the last few years have spent six figures on fees and happy to keep doing so.

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Im also of the opinion that a % fee is acceptable

If you are buying a 750 k property with a 2.5 % fee, the "conflict of interest" risk is likely going to be a max of 30 000, so an increased fee of $ 750 is hardly a focus for a well established BA that provides a good ethical and value based service.

We work with lots of BAs and have done since they first became mainstream, and havent yet found a demonstrable issue with a fixed fee service provider going harder for a good price than a % fee service provider.

Cutting out a service provider on this basis may tend to leave one with less experienced , read well connected BAs

ta
    rolf

Westminster likes this.