Tiny house living and mortgage free - Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by freyja, 13th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Simple, buy them a house each! Haha!

Xenia likes this.
  2. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

We are currently in the process of gradually decluttering our lives but our house couldn’t be called a tiny home (4 bed etc..). I’d love to leave it all and caravan around Aus like the grey nomads. Trying to convince DH to do it one day. We are in Canberra and the family is in Brisbane, we will move back one day when circumstances allow. I’d like to hit the road then when we are between addresses and spend a couple of months travelling. Would be nice to do it while DS is still little as well. Have to wait and see how things pan out and work on DH in the meantime.

3. nykt

nykt Member

My dream house is not a mcmansion but a house on a small block of land. A tiny house is a bit much...

There are quite a few benefits to it.

Less gardening
    Less mowing
    Less cleaning
    Less room for 'junk'
    Usually cheaper mortgage
    Cheaper to run and maintain
    Generally closer to where you want to be

All things that give me more free time and money

freyja, Jjjb and WattleIdo like this.
  4. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

We sold our big PPOR and bought smaller place. It is liberating selling all the "stuff" you accumulate over the years. There's a great site Becoming Minimalist which is fantastic!
    We will be in our motorhome for the next 3 months then in a friends motorhome for another 3 months next year. We love it. You don't need all that space or all that stuff. BUT I know hubby misses his garage. LOL

Kassy, freyja, bob shovel and 2 others like this.
  5. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

We lived in a tiny shack for a couple of years when the kids were smaller - I loved it for a while, but as the kids grew we were literally bumping into each other. Our house now is really spacious and I love it. We can have hoards of people here and it doesn't seem cramped, but it also is intimate enough to not lose each other. Perfect. :)

Gypsyblood and Cia like this.
  6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

You will need more than two months to "travel around". Maybe six months is more realistic.

7. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I yearn for a minimalist lifestyle too but the kids constantly manage to make the house look like we're a bunch of ferals.

8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

1. Get wheelie bin
    2. Bring in the house
    3. Load it up! :D

9. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Haha story of my life :)

Mine are ferals - they just came inside with dirt all of them yelling “we made compost!!!!!”

Gypsyblood and Jess Peletier like this.
  10. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

Not exactly - we bought a 2 bed cottage on a large block, we sold our previous home, moved overseas for a few months and now we are doing a knock-down-rebuild on the new land. We have managed to save a bit towards the new house though! When we were overseas we were living quite cheaply and saving much more than if we stayed in Australia (North/East Europe).

It wasn't planned - we saw an opportunity to buy a great block of land with a house on it and jumped on it. We were already going overseas for a few months so decided to sell up before we left and have lived 'tiny' ever since. The simple living helps us to save while we finish building our new place.

I doubt my husband would ever agree! Before this 'experiment' I would have said yes but now I don't think so...

Nope, never permanent - only 12 months or so. Although, we had the option once we returned from overseas to not do the knock-down rebuild and move into the cottage mortgage free. We said no way, lol.

Kassy and Terry_w like this.