QLD Tingalpa, Geebung, Keperra best Brisbane suburbs for first-home buyers in 2018. (Article)

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Sackie, 7th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Tingalpa, Geebung, Keperra best Brisbane suburbs for first-home buyers in 2018

Source:
    NICOLA MCDOUGALL FEB 5, 2018

The number of first-home buyers in the national market is the highest in five years, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).

South-east Queensland first-home buyers have it better than their southern counterparts because of the Sunshine State’s more affordable property prices.

So with demand strong, which south-east suburbs should first-timers target this year to secure long-term performance?

[​IMG]Houses like 12 Peachdale Street, Tingalpa, listed on Domain for offers of more than $595,000, should be on first-home buyers’ radar. Photo: Richard Walker

Hot Property Buyers Agency senior buyers’ agent Zoran Solano said unlike other capital cities, Brisbane still offered a number of affordable suburbs within a 15-kilometre radius of the CBD.

First-home buyers could still pick up houses for about $500,000 to $550,000, which he recommended they do over a unit or townhouse.

“The short to medium-term plan for starting a family means they may quickly outgrow a unit or townhouse,” he said.

This renovated split-level home at 5 Pinewood Street, Geebung, is looking for offers over $575,000.

“A lot of people are looking at a house as something with longevity that they could literally live in forever.”

Mr Solano’s top picks for first-home buyers in Brisbane included Tingalpa, Geebung and Keperra.

All three suburbs were within about 10 kilometres of the city and offered affordable entry-level prices, he said.

“It’s proximity to the CBD relevant to the price. If first-home buyers want to stay within a close proximity to the city, they’re good options,” he said.

“Geebung, specifically, has Chermside Shopping Centre, which has undergone a major renovation that has really lifted the area.”

On the Gold Coast, first-home buyers had generally targeted northern suburbs, Professionals Surfers Paradise principal John Newlands said.

The extension of the light rail had also positively impacted the northern corridor, he said.

“The northern corridor has been opened up to suburbs surrounding Helensvale and Labrador,” he said.

“They’ve had a little bit of growth but not significant, which makes them a little bit more accessible.”

Southern beachside suburbs were also in demand from first-time buyers, he said, including Tugun and Bilinga.

Gold Coast first homebuyers were also prioritising location with many opting for units over a house, he said.

“Some first-home buyers have also been picking off units that might be in a really great location that have some upside – so they’re going for position,” he said.

However, both Solano and Newlands said the First Home Owner Grant being restricted to new properties was causing a dilemma.

In fact, it was often the biggest dilemma for first-home buyers choosing whether to buy established or new, Solano said.

Newlands said he felt restricting the grant to new property was unfair.

“Some people don’t want to go up into those areas, when they’re possibly working south of the Gold Coast, but to get the grant they are forced into those northern areas. I don’t think it’s a really balanced situation,” Newlands said.

Sheldrick likes this.
  2. Sheldrick

Sheldrick Well-Known Member

I'm very keen to hear people's view on this article too!

3. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Been saying it for a long time not many suburbs as close to the CBD as Keperra where you an still jag a house for $500k. It’s getting harder and harder but bargains still pop up if you’re on the ball. Geebung is good value too IMO.

Sackie likes this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I would have to agree . Its not my area of stock i usually look at but just taking 5 mins on realestate.com.au and I can spot really good value.

dan2101 likes this.
  5. Sheldrick

Sheldrick Well-Known Member

What's the consensus on Tingalpa?

6. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

I somewhat agree but neighbouring ferny hills/grove i still prefer as more o/o demand and nicer.

nuzullandchicky likes this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

f1.JPG

f2.JPG

Tranquilo likes this.
  9. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

I have noticed a trend in these articles over the decade.
    The affordability of $450k to $500k range of yesterday news in 2012 - 2013 was the 6km to 8km from the Brisbane CBD.
    Fast forward to 2018, it is the 8 to 12km zone with price point of $500k to $550k.

Generally the south side of Brisbane have done much better than the north side of Brisbane given the same distance from the CBD.
    The $100k difference must be tempting difference to narrow down eventually.

Last edited: 9th Feb, 2018
    HUGH72, ndpjai, Sackie and 1 other person like this.
  10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I've noticed the same thing. Also noticed, the parcel of land sizes are getting less and less generous for what your bang for buck can get you now.

Kassy and ndpjai like this.
  11. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

What your thoughts on why that might be?

12. Alex123711

Alex123711 Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on these areas now?

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia