Timeshare

Discussion in 'Innovative Property Investment Techniques' started by Spanna, 15th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Spanna

Spanna Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anybody has had any experience with a timeshare type arrangement or a derivative of timeshare on particular property’s / developments.
    I was pondering the other day on the feasibility of timeshared holiday houses in the south west of WA. Is anyone aware of someone doing this type of thing?
    Regards,
    Spanna

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

From the brief looks at it I've had, it just seemed a lot cheaper and more flexible to rent something for when you wanted it instead.

Chilliblue and Perp like this.
  3. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Agree with thatbum. Go to where you want to go when you want to go.

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I have two timeshares. Bought them in the trading post for bugger all. As far as we see it they are just a prepaid holiday. The location was (nice) QLD apartment on sunshine coast. One week each. Well managed and run. Do we earn income from it ? Little to none and it just pays its own way. We can change destination worldwide. The dragon in law has one also and they have switched to Nice and other destinations too.

We stay for "free" - Reality is a minor booking fee etc...$50 a week ? As far as I see it its free holidays. Some can allow you to bank unused time. Some limit it. Some conditions stoo.. eg not foe owner use in peak periods etc... Do homework. Far far cheaper on the secondary market if buying recognised TS. Buying from TS company is for mugs. They are a rip off.

5. Spanna

Spanna Well-Known Member

Yeah im more thinking of selling "Timeshares" of property that I own to reduce risk/increase cashflow

cheekykoon likes this.
  6. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

7. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

8. Brian84

I got timeshare through Wyndham and I will never do that again. Holiday isn't to badly priced it's just the time limit you have to use it.

Tekoz likes this.
  9. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I have Wyndham and pretty happy with it since 2003. Just booked a place in California in January 2016.

We also spent one week in Tasmania and used points for flights and car hire.

10. Brian84

Ours was like a trial package. Get 35000 points to use any Wyndham in Aus, a place in Fiji and one at New Zealand. We are going to Fiji next September. We wanted to go to Kirra beach in January and they said we are on a waiting list and couldn't tell us if we could stay there until 2 weeks out from the date of when we wanted to stay there.

11. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

It's all about planning I guess. I don't mind it cos I am not the one who plans it. hehe

Brian84 likes this.
  12. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

We have timeshare through ACCOR - love it! Bought it second hand for a fraction of the cost and it gives us a summer holiday every January (Coffs Harbour, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, NZ, Bali) and skiing every second winter (NSW and VIC). Have to book way in advance though, otherwise you can't get in...