Timeframes on going from DA approval to applying for building permit

Discussion in 'Development' started by Skuttles, 16th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Skuttles

Skuttles Well-Known Member

Hi all

What people’s experiences with timeframes on going from DA approval to applying for the building permit?

This is for a two storey apartment build, suspended slab, double brick lower framed upper floor, on a gently sloping site (in my mind not a difficult site/construction).

As I understand it the activities within this are completing working drawings, getting engineering specifications/certifications, then applying for the permit itself.

We received DA approval early August, sent same day to the builder we’d already committed to, now it seems the builder wont be applying for the building permit till late Jan/early Feb.

I understand the engineering aspects are not completed by the builder themselves, but does a period of 6 months from DA approval to applying for the building permit seem reasonable to those that have been down this path before?

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I would say 2-3months tops.

3. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

Clearly I do not know the size of the job but two months from DA to submission of building application should be sufficient. This should include construction drawings, engineering, consultants if required, preparation of addenda and specification energy assessment and building certification, if you are going with a private building surveyor rather than having the local authority carry out the assessment.

If it is privately certified the local authority have to issue a building licence within 14 days of the application being made.

If your builder has been engaged to carry out the above work 2.5 - 3.0 months should be the time required from DA to the commencement of works.

4. soggy

soggy Well-Known Member

Mine took just under 3 months for a group of double storey townhouses.

5. 380

380 Well-Known Member

will depend on trade/professional schedule! generally, allow 2-3 months.

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Congrats on the DA - I've been meaning to ask how it's going!

I would expect 3mths but I'm experiencing a lot longer. Engineering seems to take ages here and especially if there is some disagreements over the requirements - eg Structerre wanted 4c pads for Mindarie which was ridiculous and after toing and froing trying to change that it went to another engineering firm to be done. That impacted working drawings which had to be redone. Then FESA assessment, 6 star assessment, BCA certification and then finally ready

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Westminster Did the other engineering firm come up with a better cheaper solution overall?

I know one guy that had to get engineering done again becasue the one firm was so ridiculous it was like 200k over and unnecessary..

Cheers

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Yes they did. Mixture of 2c and 3c concrete pad, much more reasonable in terms of requirements and cost.

Sackie likes this.
  9. Skuttles

Skuttles Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses all. Seems my suspicion was right that it's taking longer than usual. Adding in the upcoming Christmas delay only makes my sentiment on this worse.

Reflecting on it, I think my frustration is less around the delay itself, more the level of communication/transparency from the builder as to the reasons for the delay.
    I hate needing to be a squeaky wheel, but it appears it's the only way to get info/updates from most builders.
    I guess the lesson for me here is I should always remember its always me driving this project, no one else will have the same level of motivation to keep it progressing forward.

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You couldnt be more spot on mate. I've learnt that even if i have a great relationship with my broker, architect, engineer, buidler and the 101 other consultants involed in the project, the buck stops with me. At certain times i will just have to micromanage the schit out of a situation until its smooth sailing again and then waiting for the next 'big step' and then back to micromanaing the schit out of it again.

Just my opinion.

Skuttles likes this.