Hi team I will be moving out of my PPOR in Newcastle (North Lambton, close to the uni) within the next 6 months. I will be renting a home elsewhere with my boyfriend for a while, no immediate plans to buy a new PPOR until we work out if we enjoy living together, at which time we will choose something together. That will be at least a year away. I am torn between selling the PPOR now, or renting it out for a while and selling in the future. I've spoken to a few RE agents but I'm really trying to get some unbiased opinions on the situation. I have completely paid off the loan from when I bought it, so it isn't a tax effective investment. I do however, have about $200k of loans relating to other property purchases secured against it that I would need to repay if I sell. So selling would reduce my overall tax deductions for my other properties. Holding it would give a fairly good rental return and it would remain CGT exempt until I bought a new PPOR. My original plan had been to hold it and rent until I wanted to buy the next PPOR, at which point I would sell it and pay cash for the new place. By that time the vals on my other properties should have increased further to be able to refi some of the $200k currently secured against it. A spanner in the works is that two of my neighbours - directly next door and one diagonally behind me - are going to be developing their blocks. The one right next door hasn't provided their plans yet, but I can imagine that one impacting on my view and privacy (I have floor to ceiling windows on my main bedroom facing directly into their backyard that will soon have townhouses in it) I currently have the only 3 bedroom townhouse in the area. Once these developments are done, they will also include 3 bedders so valuers and potential purchasers will compare them to mine. If they achieve good sale prices then it might drag up the value of mine, but I'm not sure if I want to risk the extra competition when I need to sell/find tenants. I also can't imagine it would be particularly attractive for someone to buy/rent while construction is underway. So I think my choices now are to either sell it before the development work starts, or hang on to it and rent until after the construction is complete and they have sold/tenanted all the new townhouses. All opinions are welcome. Thanks!