TAS Time to Hype Hobart Thread?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by C-mac, 10th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

The less contaminated properties boundry the highway though... There are some nicer retiree in the middle though.

2. Spoony

Spoony Well-Known Member

Vultures, Sam Yue and legallyblonde like this.
  3. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I really wonder who are buying those properties in moonah, west moonah and etc. Are they retirees, investors or overseas people?

4. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Probably clued in interstate investors who can see what's happening :cool:

Cliff

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Just watching a property program on fox apparently stating inner city Tassie booming like Sydney? In demand character homes inner city

I am not playing in this market though I suspect this may be the black horse, lots of noice

Updates anyone on ground?

6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I can understand the why by reading @C-mac's original post.

7. Bozley

Bozley Well-Known Member

I didn't see that show MTR but yes there are not many properties for sale and lots of buyers. This has been causing some pressure for a while now. Interstate buyers are starting to come in to the market for middle ring suburbs now too

8. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Do you think 12 months from now will be too late? I'm looking at Hobart but can't make a move yet. Growth and strong yields... I want in.

Maybe I will look North to Launceston.

However I like the Geography of Hobart in terms of its ability to constrain supply. Particularly if economic growth leads to continued population growth over the mid to long term. It seems like a better long term play that up North.

Last edited: 13th Nov, 2016
  9. radson

radson Well-Known Member

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

that's great, its very simple...... not enough stock to meet demand, BOOM

11. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Anyone catch the 4 Corners program the other night on the growth of the Tas salmon farming industry?

Whilst the context was a rather scathing examination of the ecological impact and bullying tactics within the three biggest businesses (Tassal, Huon, amd I forget the 3rd business's name..) some numbers really drew my attention. ten years ago, the Tasmanian Salmon industry was worth about $300m per year. As of this year, it has exploded to be about a $700m industry per year. The prediction based on tracking + the opening up of more salmon farms closer to Hobart, is that it will exceed $1 Billion annually, within the next ten years!

The craziest part is that this growth has mostly happened based on local (AU) demand only. Only now are China starting to obsess and serious business tactical planning is being given to shilping/exporting to Chinese mothership (mostly via Burnie, as both mainland AU and mainland China salmon is shipped outta there).

For now, the first two companies are AU owned, publicly traded (share prices reasonably robust for both). So long as these companies dont sell to foreign interests, Tasmania will generate a lot of revenue (and yes, jobs too!) out of the growing salmon trade. Tassie's food prestige/street cred is growing too, across salmon and beyond. Maybe this is why Tas unemployment is trending in the right direction?

Skyegirl, Vultures, Guest and 4 others like this.
  12. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

Im surprised Hobart has so many freestanding homes on nice block sizes so close to the city centre. Also super surprised to see that waterfront homes look like the old homes in Western Sydney!!

I have a few further questions:

What are yields like in Hobart?
    Do you guys see Hobart as becoming more "developer friendly" with future demand for city apartments?

13. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

SQM Research has yields, vacancy rates etc for each postcode in Australia - SQM Research - Property Gross Rental Yield

Might need to read the Hobart strategic or development plan for what the government's thoughts are about apartments and development

14. House

House Well-Known Member

Cats out of the bag, Hobart will now be on the radar of all savvy investors after this YIP write up

YIP mobile

Bryan Loughnan likes this.
  15. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Sam Yue and legallyblonde like this.
  16. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Great pdf - thanks for sharing it.

Might be worth monitoring the next few months of Treasury data from TAS Gov to see if unemployment rates turn around. I agree, the raw employment data isn't reflecting the positive sentiment, increased export numbers, and increased tourism influx numbers I've read elsewhere.

Something isn't stacking up in this contradiction and I'm not too sure what it is, based on the data alone. Maybe some locals on the ground who are reading this can chime in? Are there other forces at play that are restricting employment results? Is automation and/or overseas offshoring of jobs possibly to blame? Any other reasons?

radson likes this.
  17. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

18. radson

radson Well-Known Member

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Tassie looking good

not so good for - WA, SA, QLD

Bryan Loughnan likes this.
  20. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

I reckon tasmania is awesome and we almost bought a place there a few years ago and wish we did but we arnt in any hurry to rush in now that people.are hyping it and prices are high

Few things to remember
    . Geelong, townsville, cairns, wollongong are all similar size to hobart
    . Average wage is peanuts

Sure investors are getting good yields but once the yields are gone then the buying will stop
    Locals dont have the cash to support high prices longer term

The 250k house that seems like a bargain isnt that cheap compared to towns of similar sizes

Time to buy was 1.5 years ago
    I reckon best of the gains have passed

Sam Yue likes this.