Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

TAS Time to Hype Hobart Thread?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by C-mac, 10th Jul, 2016.

1. Mac Fields

Mac Fields Well-Known Member

Yes, I heard this is why the Brown Brothers bought in Tasmania - as the climate heats up, more and more varieties are better suited to Tasmania as the mainland becomes too warm to produce the high(er) quality wines. I heard BB bought down there to get in front of the crowd. Just need the jobs to follow... not sure if wineries employ too many....

LibGS and legallyblonde like this.
  2. Whiteman

Whiteman Well-Known Member

Interesting interview between a NSW real estate agent and Louis Christopher of SQM Research who provides the Boom and Bust Report, towards the end of the interview (at the 10min 45sec mark if you wish to fast forward) he says Gold Coast and Hobart are the markets to be in, in the next two years with the best prospects nationwide.

3. rch1987

rch1987 New Member

Hi Bozley

I have 3 airbnb apartments in Melbourne CBD that i run with a mate as a side thing. We've got some money saved up and thought about buying somewhere in Hobart because of the tourism and airport runway expansion.

What areas would be good to look in? I've only ever been to Hobart for a long weekend so I'm not to familiar with what areas would be good for tourists and under $400k. Any advice would be much appreciated!

4. Bozley

Bozley Active Member

Hi rch1987

I don't think you would find much near the inner city now for under $400. Maybe a townhouse/unit in a block that allowed airbnbs. Steer clear of Battery Point - the council have special restrictions on operating short term accommodation there because of heritage issues.

You could consider somewhere in Rosetta or Berriedale with a view over the river and MONA. These suburbs are about 20 minutes drive to the north of Hobart and the upswing hasn't really reached here yet from the inner ring. MONA is a huge draw card for tourists and a beautiful view over the river is pretty easy to find in Hobart.

5. Whiteman

6. Whiteman

Work commencing soon on the major part of the runway extension, with completion expected early 2018.

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/o...y/news-story/23fee5fa43e06037ad7f8c7244a4b745

"The runway extension is important too for our exporters: our farmers, and for our aquaculture industry. Premium high-value Tasmanian produce such as salmon, abalone, crayfish, beef and dairy products will be in increasing demand over the coming years. Being able to put those products on the plates of the rising middle class of Asia just a day after they are plucked from the oceans or paddocks of Tasmania is a strong selling point."

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/t...n/news-story/e888aeb52ea2ed81cd265fab62e7e979