Time to fix

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Perthguy, 23rd Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I have had fixed rate loans before, so I know how inflexible they are an all the things you can't do with them. I have not triple checked but I am fairly certain that none apply in my case. Further to that, I would certainly go through the potential issues with my broker before taking such a big step. Anyway, I found out the other day I can fix all my loans at 3.97% p.a. for 5 years (current rate is 3.94% p.a.).

Given the uncertainty of what is going to happen with interest rates, it seems tempting to fix now and have certainty for 5 years.

I am trying to think of downsides. I haven't thought of any yet. The only potential issue would be a possible security substitution on a fixed rate loan. That's possible isn't it?

2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

If you're pretty sure you won't need to sell in the next five years, then I'd definitley fix at those rates! I fixed at 4.15% for three years and I'm still happy with that decission and obviously this is a much better deal.

3. Perthguy

Definitely not selling!

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

How about a 60:40 Fixed:variable scenario? Then you can have offset against the variable and still enjoy the nice low rate for the fixed.

Barny, Blacky and Perthguy like this.
  5. Perthguy

That's a good suggestion. I will go through the numbers with the MB and see what might work.

6. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Was another thread where I saw 5YR Fixed Westpac 3.85% see if that can be matched - note might not be comparable PPOR v IP

Perthguy likes this.
  7. Perthguy

Good point. Mine will do 3.84% p.a. for OO. One of the loans is secured by a main residence too so may be able to be switched to OO.

8. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Work out what you can save per year into the offset. Say it's 20k per year, leave around 100k variable, if 5 years, least that way you make the most of the offset. 5 years is a super long time to fix, many things can happen. I do like what Westminster suggested. 60/40.

tobe and Perthguy like this.
  9. CK_Invest

CK_Invest Well-Known Member

I've never fixed before - are fixed rates generally P+I only? Or I/O is available?

I understand most fixed rate mortgages don't have the offset feature correct?

10. Perthguy

As far as I know it is only for I/O but you would need to check this.

I was going to say that is right but ING do offset with an OO fixed rate loan.

Where an owner occupier Fixed Rate Loan is combined with an Orange Advantage (100% interest Offset) home loan, a fixed interest rate discount of 0.10% p.a. will apply to our advertised fixed interest rates.

That would make it 3.74% fixed for 5 years. That really might be worth pursuing.

11. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

If the LVR is high it's worth it. Not much point if the LVR is say 60% and you want to release some equity in the next year or 2 to go again. Not sure how this goes with a 60/40 split though. Anyone?

Perthguy likes this.
  12. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Instead of fixing the lot, consider rolling fixed. So fix some now for 3 years, some more next year for 3 years etc. or fix all now but with different terms.

Dollar cost averages the buy in, but importantly leaves you with some flexibility as you go and means you get to start gently on the way out. If variable rates are higher on the way out it's easier getting used to the new repayments a little at a time rather than all at once.

Foxdan, Gockie and Perthguy like this.
  13. Perthguy

The properties being fixed won't have equity releases but that is a good point about structuring.

14. Perthguy

I think that will work.

15. Perthguy

Fixed rate Principal & Interest and Fixed rate Interest Only are available.

Fixed Rate Home Loan - P&N Bank

tobe likes this.
  16. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

At the end of your fixed rate period, will it automatically convert back to interest only? the rules could change and be stuck on P&I

17. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Most lenders revert back to p&i at the end of the fixed rate term. Most lenders have to match the fixed rate term and the I/o term.

Which makes it really expensive coming off fixed even if the rates are similar if you haven't got the serviceability to refinance.

Perthguy likes this.
  18. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Yep this will be an issue for some that maxed out prior to the serviceability changes. This also means me.
    Perthguy might be something to consider if you fall into this category.

19. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

And who knows what the credit environment will be like in 3 years?

20. Perthguy

I'm good now. If I was coming off a fixed rate to P&I with these loans it would be fine.

But it is good to know in advance so I don't over-leverage between now and then. If I know it's happening I can plan for it.

Westminster and tobe like this.