Time to close backpacker hostels temporally

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by snoopy, 4th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. snoopy

snoopy Well-Known Member

np999 likes this.
  2. np999

np999 Well-Known Member

Agree. And what about those Sydney CBD apartments where 4 people share a single room?
    Shouldn't police start checking them and fine the landlords who allowed this to happen?

3. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Weren't all the clusters around the wealthy areas of Sydney actually brought back by the wealthy Ausralian holiday makers from the U.S and then they continaully refused to self isolate and kept on spreading it through the community .

Lindsay_W and wylie like this.
  4. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Right. I get it. Backpacker hostels difficult to enforce social distancing. Possibly some residents already have contracted virus. So better close hostels for a while.

There is a small flaw with the proposal.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  5. MangoMadness

MangoMadness Well-Known Member

Where will these people go? They wont mysteriously disappear back to their own country, all you will do is send them onto the streets or spread the virus wider if they actually have it.

Have you ever lived in a backpackers? They are designed as the bare minimum sleeping/cooking/showering accomodation.

Lindsay_W, Empire and Sackie like this.
  6. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

There are probably literally thousands and thousands of shared houses throughout Sydney and Melbourne where you have 6 people (couples) sharing one house now forced to all stay inside together in a small space.
    They cannot even go down to the park and socially distance themselves for fear of getting fined.
    Its just a symptom of high rents in large cities , you have a young generation just trying to get by and an older generation that have no idea, especially the politicians.
    Many aussies that i met while working in London many years ago would share 2 to a room , just so they had spare money left at the end of the week.

Last edited: 4th Apr, 2020
    JohnPropChat and AlphabetSoup like this.
  7. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

I would be more concerned if these backpackers became homeless and turn into begpackers roaming our streets.

8. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

If they do close these back--packers down then every local park all the rest area's with 24-hour up too 28 days free camping will be full and the spread will cover a wider area ..
    I walked past one yesterday and it's business as normal as they pack them in those places in inner brisbane ..imho..

9. K974

K974 Well-Known Member

And the Australian in backpackers all over Europe ? People are stuck all over the world including australia citizens , there are no flights links to some countries, careful what you ask for , I know someone with hostel in southerN ireland they currently have 9 young Aussie in their hostel effectively stuck , what would you like to see happed Them .

10. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

On the GC many homeless us BP as a bed a few nights a week

ta
    rolf

11. MangoMadness

MangoMadness Well-Known Member

It wouldnt surprise me, I stayed in backpackers for 2 weeks in NZ around 2007. For around $22 bucks a night, a warm bed with toilets, kitchen, showering and laundry facilities was a great deal.