Time or Timing The Market

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 3rd Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Timing the market can be dumb luck, but its a beautiful thing if you get this right. But who can get this right all the time:(

So broadly speaking time in the market is key to achieve financial freedom, do you agree??

I know…..Basic stuff, but I have been doing this for over 20 years and I have seen many investors not make it, they don’t stay the course for whatever reason

So for those who have kept going, don’t forget to smell the roses along the way.

Rugrat, Travelbug, samiam and 3 others like this.
  2. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I believe it's time in the market rather than timing the market, but I have been lucky to have both.

A property I sold this year was a property that I kept for a number of years because I knew long term it was going to pay off. It was flat for a number of years and valuations always came under whenever I needed to move my loan for this property! I decided to sell this property at the end because of the massive growth and it was time to use the funds for other ventures.

Last edited: 3rd Dec, 2021
    Observer and MTR like this.
  3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

COVID has shown us all how easy it is to time the market NOT :eek:

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, rare episode. Government funded boom:p Got to thank our leaders for this I think:eek:

Observer and kierank like this.
  5. Rooky

Rooky Well-Known Member

Timing the market will always trump Time in the market, but it's not possible to do it right all the time. So best will be combination of both.

Serveman and MTR like this.
  6. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

Ohh.. I always though you to be a 'timing the market' kind of investor. That's not necessarily a bad thing if you have the knack for it. A lazy buy and hold investor like me prefers a buyers market where there's no competition so that bargains and good yields can be had for the long term.

However, I'm starting to change my tune a bit and am finding markets that have a bit of both.

Last edited: 3rd Dec, 2021
  7. fl360

fl360 Well-Known Member

definitely time in the market.

PPOR, get a place which is suitable for you. hold
    IP, solid area / building, and solid rental prospects. hold

wylie likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am a huge fan of diversification into many markets, this will improve changes. Saved my bacon a few times

Serveman and Rooky like this.
  9. Rooky

Rooky Well-Known Member

Yes, agree completely. Better to play into rising market wherever it is. If you can't then, time in market is second option.

MTR likes this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Timing markets is easy money, but its not possible to get it right all the time.

i got it right 7 times when buying, but took my profits too early, left money on the table 5 times…
    So what am I doing now???? Sell nothing….. lol

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

If developing very important as reduces risk

12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Time can forgive poor timing - but is nicer to have both. Basic rules of buy when everyone is selling, grit the teeth and hold

spoon, PeterCr and MTR like this.
  13. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

I did try to go all in during 2020. But the bank was the biggest road block for me.
    DTI hard cap was the biggest BS ever.

I was reading what the USA did in 2008. When QE happened.. This was going to be the case for Australia.
    More money in the economy = higher asset price.
    We aren't reinventing the wheel here. So just go in hard before it happen.
    Don't worry about what the RBA says. They are just sheep and follow the lead of FEDs.
    All eyes on J Powell and J Yellen as long as they are in charge. The money printing press will flow.

Mulianto and MTR like this.
  14. fl360

fl360 Well-Known Member

for timing the market to sell,
    may be a statistical way to approach it ?

get the average annual growth, and standard deviation of annual growth, over 30 years....
    if you had a good run, above 1 (or more) standard deviation across your holding period, sell.

AndyPandy and MTR like this.
  15. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

16. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Time in the market for us.
    We invested more than half our portfolio in Brisbane 10 years ago with townhouse developments in Annerley and Camp Hill, instead of putting more into our local Sydney market.
    They were underperforming for so long, although it was also done for building equity, depreciation and low maintenance rental returns.
    However, it’s starting to finally come good now and hopefully will do well long term.
    Short term results really become insignificant when you see the long term results eventuate.
    Buy well at the time, set and forget, seems to be a basic principle that never fails.

Observer, samiam, Lizzie and 2 others like this.
  17. skater

skater Well-Known Member

It's a bit of both really.

The above IS kind of timing the market. In a buyers market, you're buying while others are not. This means you should get a price and yield on the property. You just then need to hold on. Sometimes it's only a short while, other times not so much.

spoon, Travelbug and Lizzie like this.
  18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We are time in the market types. I could say we are lazy investors, but we are far from lazy, having renovated dumps and turned several sow's ears into silk purses and held on.

We are not gamblers, except to gamble on holding on for dear life when it was tempting to sell a house and give us more cash. But holding on has been good for us. I reckon if I tried to time the market, I'd get it wrong.

spoon, samiam, Lizzie and 1 other person like this.
  19. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

Suppose that's true. Any king of market research when picking a market could be considered timing the market.
    I was looking at the topic from the POV of buying in a quickly in a rising market and then exiting when you think the short to medium term grown has been achieved.

20. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yes, there's more than one way to look at things.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia