Tiling over or around these vents - bathroom

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by mike7575, 19th Feb, 2023.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mike7575

mike7575 Well-Known Member

Hi PCers,

I'm currently in the process of planning to gut and re-do my bathroom in a 1930s art decco apartment.

I have 3 of these brick vents in the bathroom + a ceiling exhaust fan. Picture of the brick vent attached.

I'm unsure whether these vents are still necessary and whether they can get tiled over?

Has anyone redone an older apartment bathroom and come across this?

Attached Files:

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

where does the ceiling fan vent to ?

ta
    rolf

3. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

My last three reno properties were built around 1945, 1975 and 1980. In these I filled in the wall vents like the one pictured above; some had bars. The bathrooms have windows that open and extraction fans, which seems to be adequate. The vent pictured above looks to be high, so maybe plaster. Plastering tape may be needed.

4. mike7575

Hey Rolf, I'm on top floor so possibly the attic or somehow outside? I'm not sure.

5. mike7575

Thanks for the response, the only concern I have is whether it'll have a big impact on the airflow.

6. Burramys

I cannot say. I can recall that when I was looking at the vents I had advice from a source that I felt to be reputable (perhaps on this website) saying that it was okay to fill in the vents. There are enough air leaks in my house to mean that the vents don't add much to air flow. However, in an apartment with the front door opening into an internal stair well and concrete or bricks on all sides there would be less air flow with the windows shut. That said, I think it would be acceptable, but check the rules.

7. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Airflow is generally good in terms of minimising mould and health. Do you have mould issues today?

There were no exhaust fans in art deco, so good question - where does it go?

So map out where the airflow goes - from and to.

If you have gas in the apartment then (firstly, get it disconnected) but don't close them off until then.

In principle, you want airflow going into your bathrooms and out of the building .... rather than the other way round.

8. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

These vents are for letting spiders in. They also exist to vent carbon monoxide from old flueless gas heaters and also moisture, heat, bad smells etc. The external wall vents are for drying/venting double brick wall space. They let tons of heat out. At night in winter if it’s 2 degrees outside it’s 2 degrees inside with these stupid vents. You can tile over them but if you're tiling wall to ceiling you should pull off the cornice first, then replace it over the new tiles

9. mike7575

Thanks all for the responses - spoke to a number of bathroom companies and these vents are essentially redundant as I've got an exhaust fan and large sash window that can be opened so going to tile over them.

10. mike7575

Got it!

Actually for the bathroom we are going to remove the cornices completely and tile all the way up to the ceiling

11. Burramys

Cornices and skirting boards are to cover gaps that may vary in width and may not be quite square. It will probably be okay with tiles to the ceiling.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia